Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Has anyone found any dead deer? >

Has anyone found any dead deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Has anyone found any dead deer?

Old 05-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anyone found any dead deer?

I've heard of a few guys that are finding a few dead deer, just like we do every year, for any reason. If you go out shed hunting a lot in the late winter, how many deer do you find dead on average? I used to do a lot of shed hunting and after season scounting and it wasn't rare to find 10-15 deer dead every year. How about you guys?
Old 05-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone found any dead deer?

Yea i found 2 this rifle season , well one was dead , with an arrow wound to the chest, a real dandy too , we have video of him eating from the biologic this spring, it was a shame , i really enjoyed watching this buck in the field,. ALSO FOUND ONE DEAD AFTER RIFLE SEASON IN A THICKET WITH HIS HORNS CUTOFF.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-20-2004, 08:12 AM

Only a couple I was afraid it might be worse since the winter here was rough with the ice
Old 05-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah the poaching is bad around here at times, but the blue-tounge seemed to wipe out a lot more in the past years. I think the herds are getting over it though.

Back about 4-5 years ago, the local wildlife biologist for the area estimated about 1/3 of the population(in the county) was killed from Blue-tounge. But it seems to be something that comes and goes, and shows up sparatically, from what I've seen
Old 05-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found a pretty nice buck while turkey hunting this spring but I dont usually find alot. A couple of years ago my dad found a really nice one during shotgun season that had been killed during bow season. We cut the antlers off and they are just now starting to lose the horrible smell!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:49 PM

Seen one buttonbuck carcass two months ago at the edge of my property - couldn't tell how it was killed though.
Was driving along a back road where a lot of people dump trash. There were at least three carcasses (or what was left of them) along the road. They may have been from legal kills but I wasn't about to inspect them!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I found 3, 2 spikes and a 3 pt. I think guys shot them as does then let them lay because of the pt. restriction .. This is only a guess ..Bill
Old 05-21-2004, 07:48 PM

I have found quite a few dead deer. More dead moose than deer but i usually find at least one or two a year. Most of them are coyote kills on fawns. I have only found one deer that had been killed by a hunter. I was out scouting for moose in november and i ran across spots of blood. So i followed the blood for 200 yards and i came across a big 4 pointer that is pushing 160. He had been shot in the hind quarters and had worked his way back into the forest to die. The deer was a pretty fresh kill because the birds had not fed on it yet and the body was not stiff. To make things worse this deer was shot on my land which was posted "hunting with permission only". I had been seeing this buck quite a bit in the fall and i had my eyes on him only to found him dead. I left the area because i thought the hunters may come back for him. I went back a week later and all that was left was his rack. I was scouting on a sunday afternoon and had hunted that field saturday evening and never saw anyone or that buck. So i believe this deer was taken staurday night or sunday sometime which is illegal. Really burns me that somebody would do this.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:20 AM

ya ive found some deer dead well hunting its a shame really

Quick Reply: Has anyone found any dead deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.