Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Has anyone found any dead deer? >

Has anyone found any dead deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Has anyone found any dead deer?

Old 05-25-2004, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Has anyone found any dead deer?

about
20 to 30 a year
Old 05-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

This spring I made a dedicated survey of the main winter range for my local whitetail herd. I found 4 dead deer - one buck, one doe, and two fawns. Cause of death unknown, except for the buck (2 1/2 years old). I suspect he was an unrecovered hunting season casualty. Also found a dead coyote and a dead porcupine! How many dead coyotes does a guy find in a lifetime? 'Twas my first.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM

I found a nice 5x5 and a doe this year while looking for sheds.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

None here in ohio, just sheds, unless you count the deer i see while scouting counts, becuase there as good as dead anyways when bow season starts in october

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"
Old 05-27-2004, 07:18 PM

Two that were this last years and two that were old. The middle 8 point has a 23+ inside spread and grosses upper 140s

Old 05-30-2004, 01:46 PM

I usually find about half a dozen around these parts in the late winter-early spring. usually from coyotes. They do a number on the young fawns. While bowhunting for does using a fawn in distress call, I've had several yotelers come a running!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:32 PM

I found 3 one pile of bones and 1 deer in a box minus the antlers 1 mount 1 minus antlers i think they were all poached and tossed except the pile of bones
Old 06-14-2004, 08:37 PM

I found quite a few assorted bones and stuff while in the turkey woods, but never a full deer.. which doesn't really provide any information except for the fact a deer died. Never intentionaly found any sheds either, but have found about 3 or 4.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Came aross a newborn fawn this week when I went to fill the feeders. Fire ants? Disease? Kinda sad to see them go down at such a young age, could not have been more than a week old.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:16 PM

I find alot of dead deer each year, none of them are from poaching or from hunters. From March-April we spend almost every day out walking the ranch for sheds and skulls. And on occasion we will rent a helicopter to fly the ranch looking for skulls. This past year we found a total of 21 buck skulls, the biggest being a 166" nontypical.

2 of the bucks died after getting hung up in a barbwire fence. We found two bucks that were locked together and both died from either stress, broken necks, or from coyotes. Alot of the other bucks that we found probably died from injuries from fights with other bucks during the rut. But the vast majority of the bucks that we find each year, die because of old age. Alot of the skulls that we find have teeth that are completly rubbed down or even missing.

I hate finding dead deer, especailly when they are young bucks or bucks with great head gear, but I guess its part of mother nature.

Quick Reply: Has anyone found any dead deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.