Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dogs Chasing Deer

Old 04-09-2004, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Dogs Chasing Deer

Two years ago while scouting, I walked up on a bunch of dogs(about 10) sleeping on a levee. At first I thought that someone had dumped dead dogs, but as I got closer, I could see them breathing. I got out my pocket knife and yelled at them. They jumped up and ran away. After about 50 yards, half of them turned and started to come back, barking and growling. I raised up my knife and walking stick and yelled get out of here. They stopped and decided it wasn't worth it, and turned and ran away with the rest of the dogs. If I had ran, I know they would have attacked.
I called the IDNR, and they said that they were aware of the wild dogs and had people trying to take care of the situation. The dogs had been chasing people and attacking pets. This is on an island that has road access, so I assume that people think it a good place to dump unwanted pets. The IDNR told me to shoot them if I see them again, and to tell other hunters the same thing.

I have always told my kids not to run when confronted by a mean dog. I told them to yell at the animal in a loud firm voice. This has always worked for me. I know this won't always work, but running will entice the animal to attack. By yelling they might get the animal to think twice before attacking, or they could be heard by someone that can help them.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:21 PM

py_archer what if somebody was coon hunting and there dog got after a deer ......would you shoot the coonhound.......or do you shoot certain dogs like muts or wilddogs......i will shoot scrub dogs .......but i will not shoot a beagle hound or a coonhound..can't do it.....but if it was a mut....i will shoot....
Old 04-09-2004, 08:00 PM

As I said before I have been a bow hunter for 35 years, and quite successful at it. Where do some of you guys get off on shooting dogs just because they may have chased a deer away from your stand.Also I have had coyotes do the same. I own properety and have had tresspassers screw up my hunting many more times than any dogs. Should they be shot? Tresspassers can read signs dogs cant. More game is wasted by slob hunter practises than what dogs kill. Some of you guys, and you know who you are are just looking for an excuse to shoot something.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:33 PM
crc

I WAS ATTACKED BY A MALE PITTBULL BEFORE.I WAS WALKING TO MY STAND WHEN I HEARD LEAVES CRACKING SO I TURN AROUND AND THERES A PITTBULL WRIGHT THERE.I START YELLING AT HIM BUT THEN HE RAMS INTO MY STOMACH AND KNOCKS ME DOWN.LUCKILY RIGHT WHEN HE WAS ABOUT TO GRAB MY WINDPIPE I GRABBED HIS HEAD AND BROKE HIS NECK.LET ME TELL YOU IWAS JUST GONNA KICK HIM OFF AND CLIMB UP MY STAND BUT HE WOULDNT LET ME UP SO I JUST BROKE HIS NECK.IF ANYONE THINKS I AM CRUEL THEN YOURE DUMB CAUSE THAT WAS A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well . . .IF. . .a dog killing is brought up on Cold Case Files years from now when the FBI has nothing to do but investigate who murdered Joe Poachers mangey bisquit eater ten yrs ago , there could be a bottom line.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:06 AM

10 yrs ago we had wild dogs on my brothers place we got out of the truck and they came out of the brush luckily we hadnt locked the doors we just made it back in grabbed a 22 and as soon as the dogs seen the gun they took off like they were shot with rock salt they knew. my granddad after hearing about it told us to set some hang traps for them.we did and withing two days we had caught all seven dogs that were in that pack.now its back to the practice if you want your dog alive keep it in your yard or you wont see it again.the neighbor all had a meeting if the dog is more than a 100yds from the property its fair game.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:07 AM

Something to think about.
Good point wvvet. One does need to be aware of any legal ramification's. Where I hunt the law states as follows;

ยง 959.02. Injuring animals.

No person shall maliciously, or willfully, and without the consent of the owner, kill or injure a horse, mare, foal, filly, jack, mule, sheep, goat, cow, steer, bull, heifer, ******, ox, swine, dog, cat, or other domestic animal that is the property of another. This section does not apply to a licensed veterinarian acting in an official capacity.

If the dog is not wearing a collar how would I know that it's not wild and "is the property of another"?
Remember no one AND I MEAN NO ONE can tell whether a dog is feral or not just by looking at it. You may suspect, but you could never be 100% sure.
I rest my case.

I shoot wild dogs bobcat 10. If somebody was coon hunting I would not be in the woods as it would more than likely be dark outside. That is a fine looking dog in your pic and I notice you have a collar on her like any responsible pet owner would. I would recognize her as a gundog instantly. I have seen coydogs but never shot at one.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:45 AM

[8D]
Old 04-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: alloutdoors

It's morons like you that force me to stop rabbit hunting for a few months each year, and then when I do get out I have to constantly worry every time my dog is circling a rabbit that there is some idiot nearby just waiting to shoot him.

Know who's in the woods with you , you can't blame the other guy if you don't control your dog anyway .

You never know the whole story when you see a dog in the woods, maybe it was in a kennel and dug its way out while the owner was at work, maybe it was on a line and the line broke, or the collar snapped.

You're right , but the dog is still there because it's owner failed to control it , that's the letter of the law in most areas .

I've captured every dog I've ever found running loose and then gone around to the neighbors to try and find out whose it was.

Hazardous and not very smart . What if the dog had rabies ? What if the dog was feral and dangerous ? You can't always trust a wagging tail .

In areas where feral and stray dogs cause problems or threaten humans killing them is common practice , and it's always legally the fault of the dog owner . It's easy to get emotional and say that you'd stomp a mudhole in somebody when it's your dog , but you'll always end up on the wrong side of the judge's bench if you do . Control your animal or risk losing it . It doesn't matter if it's a bullet or an Animal Control officer that takes your dog away , it's still your fault .

Quick Reply: Dogs Chasing Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.