Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting? >

How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Old 04-05-2004, 08:20 PM

Default RE: How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Legacy....this is just the crap that the anti-hunting community loves to see!! Drive a stake right down the middle of the hunting fraternity...not good :-(

I've shot good bucks with both bow and rifle, and love em both.

What was your point again???
Old 04-05-2004, 08:27 PM

I no longer rifle hunt, but you must remember that not everyone takes their deer at 200yds. I've killed around 40 deer with a rifle and I would say the average shot was 30-50yds. You still have to put in the same effort to locate a buck, the stand set up is where things get much tougher with a bow.

I typically hunt really thick areas that if you see a deer it will be in bow range. BUT, not everyone hunts that way. Like someone else above stated, he hunts prairie land, no very conducive to bow hunting.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

To answer the original question: Yes

You bowhunt and call yourself a hunter??? Did you build the bow? Did you make the arrowheads? I don't think you can call yourself a hunter unless you just jump on it and slit it's throat with a sharp rock/arrowhead.

As said well earlier, to each his own, there is no better or best. Nuff said.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point whitetails
Now i really dont know what your problem is .Cant seem to figure out how rifle is easier then bow.Maybe you are the gods gift to hunting,the all superior deerhunter or just bragging about whatever,but in my neck of the wood is pretty thick,getting a deer within EASY shooting range with a gun or bow is still a feat in itself.Still have to be in the right spot at the right time.
Another point i would like to make is some people have to work for a living ,giving them only 3-4 days in the field.If rifle hunting is a big advantage for that individual then by all means.
So im sorry your heinus,your almighty deerhunting genious for being a GUN hunter
P.S---I also love to hunt with my bow
Old 04-05-2004, 08:53 PM

Huntin is huntin in my mind. I hunt with both a bow and a gun. Several types of guns as a matter of fact. I hunt archery season, muzzelloader season, rifle season, and sometimes I take my shotgun out to hunt with. Now I know I havent hunted very long (9years) but in the last 2 years Ive been getting more into bow hunting. I mean I can see what is being said about hunting with the rifle isnt that much fun, but thats my opinion. That is how I feel about hunting with my rifle anymore. I would much rather have that feeling after taking a deer at 15 yards after it came walking by not even knowing I was there.
Now Im not saying that hunting with the gun isnt hunting or it cant be fun or enjoyable. But Im just starting to find it more enjoyable to have my skills tested more, by takin the animal at 15 or 20 yards instead of 75 or 100 yards.
Would you not say someone is a hunter who hunts turkeys with a shotgun? or foxes with a rifle or shotgun? or any small game with a .22 or shotgun?........No I wouldnt say that at all.They are all hunters. Ive even thought of this year taking my bow out for turkey season, just for more of a challenge.
I guess I would just like to end this by sayin. Anyone who chases critters or game day after day year after year is a hunter in my book, no matter what weapon you use.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Legacy357's antics and pot stiring are elitest and pathetic. How does your method of hunting give you the right to call anyone anything. It torques my hain to know people like you go to bed at night thinking they are better than other people. Its really a medical condition. You are making up for something.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Legacy357

Stick to rifle hunting! Your giving bowhunters a black eye![:@]
Old 04-06-2004, 04:43 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Yeah, you're telling them..........I'm assuming you hunt with a 100% homemade bow and arrow, none of this store bought razor heads and compound bow crap...........Then again the only FAIR way to take a deer is to stand behind a tree, nekkid, unarmed, and jump on the deer's back when it passes by and break its neck.................
This is about the same level of creedence I'll give this thread . What a snob ... [:'(]

Hunt with what makes you happy if it's legal , but don't look down on a method that accounts for the majority of the deer taken each year . Without rifle/shotgun hunters most states couldn't even begin to manage their herd effectively . Also , rifle hunting may happen at longer distances than a bow hunter can only dream of , but the same general skills are required to be successful at it . You still have to know your quarry and it's habits .
Old 04-06-2004, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let us all bow down in reverence of "Legacy357!"
It ihas been my experience, that when one starts to cut down other hunters hunting methods, it is only an egomaniacal way of building themselves up to be some great hunter!
You said that you started hunting at age 15, didn't say how old you are, but you have shot 8 deer in the last four years. So, you are maybe what? 20, even if you are 30, many of us here have been hunting longer than you've been on this earth!
I personally hunt with both bow, and gun, and yes you do have to be close to make a shot with a bow, it does not mean you are any better than a gun hunter!
Length of shot, and size of antlers, do not a hunter make!
If you don't understand that, you would not understand if we wrote you a book, and if you still don't understand, you ain't much of a hunter either! At least not one that I'd care to share the woods or a deer camp with anyways!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:47 AM

Legacy 357-

The day the government agrees with you about rifle hunting not being a sport, may be the day we lose our guns. If I was you, I would actually hope that many people disagreed with me or else you may have no choice but to hunt with your bow. As for me hunting over a feeder, like I said, 5 deer in 2 seasons on private land....I am not exactly slaughtering them and I hunt every chance I get. I guess if I let you on my land with a rifle the deer would be extinct within hours. What is your secret? I think there are plenty of less-successful rifle hunters on this forum who would love to know!

Quick Reply: How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.