Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting? >

How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Old 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM

Default RE: How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

I consider myself a hunter even though I use a rifle. It depends on how you use it. If someone goes out to shoot anything that walks by then thats pretty ridiculous but you can't say using a rifle is not hunting. Not meaning to sound rude here but if you want to be such a "hunter" then go carve yourself a bow and arrow or heck just whittle yourself a nice spear. Now that's hunting
Old 04-05-2004, 06:54 PM

THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST RIDICULOUS STATEMENT I HAVE EVER READ ON THESE MESSAGE BOARDS. First off, the only hunting I do is rifle hunting. I have taken 5 deer in the past 2 seasons, 4 bucks and a doe. Not a single shot has been past 50 yards. I hunt where deer are well-populated, but not thriving. I hunt only private land and still the most deer I have ever seen in one hunt from a tree-stand is 3. To add even more emphasis, baiting is legal here and we keep our feeders full. Not all of us hunt where deer pass by our stand all morning and afternoon long and where there are 300 acre cornfields filled with deer every night and you take your pick of racked bucks. I guarantee you I spend as much time preparing, and scouting as any bowhunter, no offense to anyone, and now someone tells me I am not really a hunter? Just feel blessed you have an oppertunity to hunt fine land that you can harvest whitetails often enough with a bow. But your hunting land doesn't reflect everybody elses. Hunters ought to stick together anyways, so why would you write this and try to start an arguement? I am talking to you Legacy357, and I think I have made several points.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where I hunt 90 percent of my deer are taken at about 200 yards. I quess I could loft arrows at them for a day or two if I had the time. Hunting is hunting. Makes no difference what weapon you use. We hunt prairies. Open country. Not many bow hunters around there.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:16 PM

I shoot them with bow, rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader, i'd even take the sling shot out if it was legal. I bowhunt 95% of the time, but it is still a blast getting together with hunting buddies and going out and blasting one @ 100 yds and above, hunting or not, it sure is fun.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone can pat themselves on the back and say "whoever does'nt do things the way I do them is inferior." There is an argument against everything under the sun. I could blast bowhunters, or anybody else from several differeent angles , but I chose not to. I am happy and confident in the styles of hunting that I do , and am glad that I don't have a need of anyones approval.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:32 PM

wholelottagobble: you hunt over a feeder? now that is def not hunting. anyone could go out and feed the deer and have them come by and shoot them. What is the fun in that? i hunt open timber and it took me many and many days of hunting and moving stands just to find what the deer were doing. All season i only saw 11 deer, shot one doe and saw only one small buck. still i scouted and moved and tried and tried and finally found the right spot and shot a nice 9 point. The place i was talking about earlier was state game lands in pa where i rifle hunt. There is def. tons and tons of pressure on those deer and those little deer hardly never make it through the season. all the deer i saw were an hour after sunrise or hour before dark. yes hunters should stick together, but i feel like rifle hunting is way to easy. if all ur shots are 50 yards max, why not try and hunt with a bow. yes i do hunt with a compound bow which some call cheating but if u hunt with rifle, then that must be the biggest cheap ever. i will some day make my own long bow and hunt with it when i am skillful enough to make one but right now my compound will do.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Either way you're hurling some projectile at (and hopefully through) a deer. IMHO the hunters who get the most out of the sport try all methods available. No one weapon or tactic is superior to the next as long as you have a great time using it. Each man's dream hunt is as varied as the next, and that dream is what matters most.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:51 PM
jjt

i still do rifle hunt
wow that was hard to show how much of a hypocrit the starter of this post is
Old 04-05-2004, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Legacy357
Any joe blow can grab a rifle and might get lucky and shoot a 13 point on the first day of rifle season. How can you call that hunting? how do you out smart the deer by putting on a drive and shooting one?
I think there is a little bit of jealousy going on here if u ask me. Seems like your just po'ed because the rifle hunters can shoot a bigger deer than you can. If any Joe Blow can do it then go out this year with the rifle and lets see a 170 deer. prove us wrong. How do you out smart a deer in a deer drive? It actually does take a little bit of thought. You study the wind, the shape of the bluff, any types of low spots coming out from the bluff, main trails coming out from the bluff, decide how you will post shooters. I have jumped up big bucks in bluffs before that we could never get out. We would go back and chase it 3 or 4 times again but they would always double back on us somehow. I was so close to the one buck I could have thrown my knife at him but we agree here that we never shoot while pushing, only the posters shoot. Like i say its not as easy as u make it seem.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt them with everything but a spear or knife and its all good hunting .

so people were just beat alot as kids and feel the need to stir the pot .

Quick Reply: How can you consider rifle hunting, true hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.