Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any buckshot shooters out there? >

Any buckshot shooters out there?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any buckshot shooters out there?

Old 04-03-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Any buckshot shooters out there?

I hunt in the South Carolina low-country where we use dogs to drive deer through the swamps. In an effort to limit the risk to our fellow hunters we use buckshot only. Has anyone out there found a choke tube that delivers tight, even patterns with 0, 00, or 000 buckshot? I am currently using the modified or full tubes that came with the gun, but I would like something better. Thanks, Al.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:04 AM

Default RE: Any buckshot shooters out there?

For buckshot the more restricting your choke is the bigger the pattern. I use improved choke. Have you patterned the chokes?
Old 04-04-2004, 09:17 AM

I use a BPS 3" with full choke.I only shoot Winchester #4 buckshot followed by #1 buck.
great pattern,just check all type shell with different chokes and see which works better.

the real tight chokes are not made for the big shot.the bigger shot the larger choke you need.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Use to use nothing but 00 buck and killed a pile of deer with them. Buy a couple of 5 packs of each of the size shot you named along with #1 buck and see which patterns in your gun at 25, 35, & 45 yards with the different choke tubes. Sometimes a change in shell manufactures will make a noticible difference. I would still be dog hunting if we could get the necessary lands, but most timber companies have outlawed the use of dogs.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:13 AM

I have patterned all three sizes with mod, full, and extra full. I have not tried the imp tube yet. With the mod or full tubes I am getting about 80% in a 25" circle at 35-40 yards. I am just trying to beat that. I was wondering if anybody had tried the Patternmaster choke that Cabelas sells or the Black Gold that Bass Pro sells. They are both $60 or more, and I would hate to spend that much if they will not give me an improvement. Thanks, Al
Old 04-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always wondered if some of those fancy ported turkey chokes would work on buck shot?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:27 PM

I tried a Remington Ventilator and a Star Dot turkey choke, and they made the pattern blow up. I had better luck with full and modified. I guess they have way too much constriction.[:@]
Old 04-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Spike

I have always used 00 buckshot with a full choke, I tried others, everything from improved to a turkey choke and the full worked best. I have a fair pattern at 60 yards but I limit my shots to well under that.