Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Buckshot ???

Old 11-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buckshot ???

I have an M1 Super 90 that I take coyote hunting with me for close in work, I have an 8 shot extension on it for this purpose (and spring snow goose season!) and I was wondering if I could shoot #4 Buckshot thru an extra full turkey choke?

I've asked a few locals this, and no one seems to know. I really don't want to do it unless I know it won't hurt my barrel any. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 AM

Default RE: Buckshot ???

I would think the barrel itself is safe. Anyway I have no experience just my feeling. However, I do know that larger shot sometimes doesn't like tight consistriction and you may very well get tighter patterns with a modified or full choke. (if you deform the shot by "squezzing" it too hard you'll patterns will go to poo-poo)

DISCLAIMER!!!!!! If its a buffered buckshot load I wouldn't try it. Your pressures go way up when you add buffer to the shot column. I'd pattern it with a mod. and see if it gives satisfactory results, no need to overdo it. One shot should tell you if it'll work and that takes what, 10 minutes to setup and shoot?

Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 AM

#4 Buckshot thru an extra full turkey choke?
the EXTRA full is really not what you want for the #4 buck.only fine shot for the old boss.in the regular full , you will be OK. the full should do you a fine job,although as Soilarch said try full.mod. and open. you may get a better pattern with one of the others. you could damage the extra full with just one shot.

I have used the #4 buck in my full for years with no problems.the Mossburg I had with the 4 different chokes said, not to use the extra with steel shot or buckshot.
check out you gun info.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 AM

I read an artical on "dead coyote" loads which are hevishot and they said use an improved cly. choke because you can clog up your barrel. And that is "T" shot. So a full choke is probably not a good idea.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Next time I get to town I am going to pick up what I need to load up some #4 buck. I thought I had it all, but I was wrong. Then once I get something loaded up I will do some pattern testing and post up the results.