Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-16-2002, 12:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-16-2002, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mutant Deer

I believe that half white/half brown deer are referred to as Piebald deer. I do not know what causes the different coloration but I would be willing to be that it is a recessive gene.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:18 AM

Yep, it was a piebald. I don't think it has anything to do with inbreeding, just that a deer with the gene mated with another with the similar gene.

"Playing under the table and dreaming"
Old 02-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never actually seen a peibald myself, but know of a couple people around here who have. They're pretty rare around here.

Edited by - kshunter on 02/16/2002 13:48:11
Old 02-16-2002, 03:23 PM

Piebalds are not all that uncommon. I believe its caused by a low pigmentation in the blood. An albino deer would have a lack of pigmentation. I'm not sure that it has anything to do with inbreeding.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member Ducks Unlimited
Old 02-16-2002, 08:03 PM
Spike

I shot a piebald doe this year with the gun.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

It is a Piebald deer, and it does have something to do with genetics. Would love to see a picture.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:33 PM
XTP

The term is Piebald,and is a form of albinoism.This is NOT a result of inbreeding or some genetic mutation,it is from a lack of a pigment,melanin(I think thats how its spelled),which gives the deer its brown/grey color.If completly absent,you have an albino(all white),if lacking you get a Piebald.Albino and Piebald deer are not as rare as most people think,however they do suffer a high mortality rate to predators due to their lack of natural camoflage.Other than the obvious,there is nothing wrong(biologically),with deer that have this trait.Hope this sheds a little light on the subject...
Old 02-21-2002, 05:22 AM

yeah definitely a piebald we have a spike one mounted ill get a pic up of it also i missed one two years ago. they might look cool but are acutally a sign of inbreeding which is a sign of overpopulation. has anybody ever seen a melanistic deer?
Old 02-21-2002, 08:53 PM

I have never seen one and don't know of anyone who has seen one in my area and im in the woods a lot

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.