Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Horrible mounts!!

Old 03-24-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Horrible mounts!!

well, the other day i saw what i would have to say would be the worst mount i have ever seen in my entire life.there was a 14 yr old that goes to my school that was fortunate enought to score a big buck this past season i do belive a 8x8. he just got the mount back and told me that i had to come and look at it so me and two of my friends went and looked at it. IT seriously made me sick to look at the mount. the back of the neck was splitting at the seem, and there were two holes under the eyes, the nose looked really fake, it looked like a piece of sandpaper that was spray painted black. The mount was just really crappy to say the least. He had a friend of his do the mount for him and only paid like 100 dollars to have it done, it was the kids first deer mount. I felt bad but i straight up told him that the mount looked like poop and that he should take it to a pro and have it done. I just felt bad because it was such a nice deer but the mount pretty much gave the deer no help in making it look better. It looked like a mount done about 50 yrs ago.But i didnt want to totaly squash the little guys dreams because it was truly a nice deer. I was mad that it was a crappy moutn but i guess thats not my place.

sorry got long winded, but what would you do if you were the 14 yr old?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Horrible mounts!!

you get what you pay for
Old 03-24-2004, 09:30 PM

if it looks that bad take it to another taxidermist. They can get a cape for the buck and remount it. I know this won't be the actuals deer's cape but it woul look alot nicer. From the sounds of it he measured the animal wrong and had to stretch the cape to get it to fit. I am planning on getting into taxidermy a bit now. I have sent away for a few books and will study up on it then attend a school for it. I don't plan on doing any work for anyone else until i am positive i can do a great job on it. I would feel so aweful if i screwed up somebodies trophy and made it look horrible. I don't mind doing a bad job on my stuff until i can master the skill but i wouldn't let anyone else give me something of any value to practice on till i am 100% confident.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 PM

well, i asked him if he was going to take it in at have it done professionally and he said probably not, i about wanted to take it in and have that done for him.but wow it was just plain crap
Old 03-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first mount has not aged very good and I think that I am going to get it re-caped. I thought it was nice until I recieved my latest mount and now I will always return to this new guy.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a bummer but at least you were honest. Hopefully he will eventually get it redone. I have no knowledge of such things....is there a time limit on that type of work?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:48 PM

young_gun,

Yes, "you get what you pay for".

Your friend should make a kind suggestion to the guy who did his mount for him. Practice on your own deer and start with a doe or two. Anyway, if your friend doesn't have the money, and I don't know what fourteen year old would, I would get the antlers remounted onto a wooden plaque with a leather wrap as the skull. It's plain, simple and doesn't cost a lot(@ $130 or so). It looks good too! I'll probably do that myself with future deer, unless he's a bruiser and I have the suficient funds at the time.

Bn'R
Old 03-25-2004, 03:35 PM

That sucks for the kid but thats why you don't let your friend do it especially your first mount. Hope it can be fixed. Good luck
Old 04-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

OH darn it ! sometimes you have to learn by your mistake's

nubo
Old 04-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bad taxidermy should be a criminal offence

Quick Reply: Horrible mounts!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.