Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you think?

Old 03-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you think?

I got home from work the other morning (I work nights) and saw the head of my 3-d deer archery target was lying on the ground beside the body. On closer inspection it had been ripped off totally shearing the tongue and groove attachment off the main body of the deer. I was sort of mystified as there are no young kids near me to have vandalized it. Anyway fast foreward to that evening and my dad comes by to see me. He said, "I came by your house last night not realizing that you were gone to work and there was a monster buck walking across your front yard." I have a big front yard but the area he saw the buck in was right near my target. What do you think? Monster buck attack? If so I wonder if that buck walked off afterwards thinking, "D@mn I'm badder than I thought, I ripped that suckers head smooth off."
Old 03-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What do you think?

Wow, that would be a sight to see. How is your target anchored? I'll bet a mature buck could tear that thing, but he'd need some leverage.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its mounted on iron rods driven about 2 feet into the ground.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

I would take it to the woods next year & use it as a decoy.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would take it to the woods next year & use it as a decoy.
Yep, and after harvesting the buck who destroyed it, I'd mount both shoulders side by side. The one that lost the fight, and the one that lost the hunt.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did he say how big that monster buck was that attacked it? Bobby
Old 03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did he say how big that monster buck was that attacked it?
He couldn't tell how many points it had but thought it had at least 10 and he said it had very long tines. My father has seen some very good bucks in his day so when he uses the word monster it really gets my attention. I usually don't hunt here on my little home place as it's only 15 acres of land but I may have to reconsider that for next year.

After picking the head up off the ground and examining it I can clearly see where a horn dug into the foam in the throat area. That buck owes me 50 dollars.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:48 PM

15 acres sound like plenty of ground to me, especially if you're hunting with a bow. That sounds like a brute!
Old 03-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

I'd vote for the big boy busting things up. Last fall I had my 3d target torn right out of the ground by a black bear. There's still claw marks across the head where the antler and ear used to be!