Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Talk about long-range shooting...read this >

Talk about long-range shooting...read this

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Talk about long-range shooting...read this

Old 03-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Talk about long-range shooting...read this

Bowfanatic towards the end of the article there is a paragraph that says:
"We shot 50 shots one day at a buck and as far as I know that sucker's still out there," John says.
O.K. sorry , missed that. But a key word in that sentence could be "we". Three maybe four guys shot 50 shots at a buck one day , the same buck. That tells me that at that range the buck is unalarmed at the rifle shots heard 600 - 1000 yards away. Alot of variables were probably involved. Nowhere in the article does it say that they wounded any deer and just kept on hunting. I would guess with the high tech optics they could tell if they ever wounded one. If they did wound one and made no effort to retrieve it , then I'd call them "slob hunters"!

We have a group of hunters that own land next to ours that sound like Iwo Jima on opening day. I dont consider them "slob hunters" because they do alot of shooting and dont get many deer.

It seems to me that too many folks are quick to label someone "slob hunters" because it's not the way they prefer to do it. Especially without knowing the whole story!
Old 03-11-2004, 05:20 PM

I hereby declare this thread to be named "Trigger".
Old 03-11-2004, 10:26 PM

OKAY I'LL Jump in here - Camp story - Outfitter (ex-guide) told me the one about his year here in Wyoming. Spent a week with two guys - neither one could hit the inside of barn with a shotgun even if the doors were closed. Each of them were put on good bucks and on several occaisions. Here's the kicker they both went home after each used up two full boxes of ammo with tag soup in a tupperware bowl. Made my friend wonder why he does this stuff. He quit guiding and enjoys DIY.

I wonder if them long rangers wear cammo?
Old 03-12-2004, 07:18 AM

Slobs
Old 03-12-2004, 07:25 AM

Old 03-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems to me that too many folks are quick to label someone "slob hunters" because it's not the way they prefer to do it.
Sorry but anytime you put your finger on the trigger to attempt a shot at a deer that you are only able to make 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 50 times you are being reckless and showing a blatant disregard for hunting ethics. The distance itself is not the issue. The distance at which a man can consistently hit the kill zone on an animal may vary greatly from person to person but EVERYONE should know their own range and stay within it. If these SLOBS are capable of being off enough to cleanly miss 10 or more times at this distance then they are clearly attempting shots beyond their ethical range and are certainly going to also miss just enough to wound and maim animals as well. And probably more often than they would like to admit. Lord knows how many deer they maim each year.

Its one thing to stick together as hunters but God help us if we censure ourselves to the point that we are scared to call a spade a spade. If this story is inaccurate well thats one thing and if you have evidence of that then show it, but the actions described in this story are just wrong and nobody short of God or Jesus will brow beat me into thinking differently. Want to see if you can hit something 1100 yards away? Go to a shooting range. But when it comes to game animals "KNOW" you can make the shot or don't attempt it at all.

Man, most of you are making it sound like these are some beer swilling slob hunters who do nothing but make every hunter look bad.
I don't recall the article mentioning beer but other than that, yes thats exactly what they are.

O.K. So your saying because they love the challenge of long range shooting their "slob hunters"?
No there are plenty of people who love the challenge of long range shooting that are the best and brightest among us. 99 percent of them however make a clear distinction between extreme long range "TARGET SHOOTING" and "HUNTING". Its one thing to see "IF" you can hit a silhouette target from 1000 yards away and another thing entirely to see "IF" you can hit a real deer 1000 yards away. It doesn't matter if you hit a silhouette target in the a$$, leg or blow the tip of its nose off. The animals we hunt however deserve a little more respect than that.

Typical! IMO , it's hunters with attitudes like yours that will do the most damage to hunting!
No its jackasses like the trigger happy, gung ho, so what if we him'em in the a$$, yahoo slobs in that article that hurt the image of hunters nationwide. Look at the overwhelmingly negative reaction that we hunters have had to this article. Now imagine what a neutral person would think of those guys? And you want me to stick up for them? To defend them to all the neutral people and non hunters out there? Sorry but those guys are not representative of me or my values. In fact if they were to set up shop near me their aim would probably be even more adversely affected by my foot hanging out of their a$$.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry but anytime you put your finger on the trigger to attempt a shot at a deer that you are only able to make 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 50 times you are being reckless and showing a blatant disregard for hunting ethics. The distance itself is not the issue. The distance at which a man can consistently hit the kill zone on an animal may vary greatly from person to person but EVERYONE should know their own range and stay within it.
So then , any person who can shoot the snot out of targets at the range and knows they CAN hit what their aiming at but for whatever reason cant hit a live animal but continue to try , is a "slob hunter"?
Read the article again! These guys shoot competition. Do they get the same adrenaline rush that I get while bowhunting when shooting at those long distances?
I'd bet that the majority of hunters who take numerous shots at deer but either miss or wound know their limitations of capability before they go afield. But according to you these folks are "slob hunters" , which by the way would include alot of young folks or novice hunters.
Some of ya'll need to think a little before jumping on the band wagon so quick!
Old 03-12-2004, 05:36 PM

In my response I want to stay away from the issue of whether or not this is hunting. As others have noted, it's not fair to the discussion, or hunting in general. And perhaps it really isn't the point.

From reading the article it sounds as if these folks are serious about long range shooting. No doubt they've made a significant dollar investment in their equipment and spend a great deal of time working up loads and perfecting their skills at the range.

What is disturbing is that it sure sounds like their primary motivation for getting out there during deer season is to nail a target that bleeds. I would suggest that out of respect to the game that anyone who can take a dozen shots at an animal and not make a clean kill should re-invest their energies is a different hobby. That would be regardless of whether you were shooting from 50, 500, or 1,000 yards.

Again, I want to stay away from the "this isn't hunting" argument. But it seems as if they get their pleasure from being able to kill something from a great distance instead of from getting into the woods, getting back to nature, putting meat in the freezer, etc.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read the article again! These guys shoot competition.
The fact that they are not novices yet still miss deer this much should tell you something about the range they are firing from. ITS TOO D@MN FAR AWAY! I could be a little more forgiving of a youthful novice that just didn't know any better but these guys should know better. The examples you listed are also not applicable here and you know it. You are just being intentionally obtuse. Sheesh, if this isn't unethical behavior in your book then what is?
Old 03-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is disturbing is that it sure sounds like their primary motivation for getting out there during deer season is to nail a target that bleeds. I would suggest that out of respect to the game that anyone who can take a dozen shots at an animal and not make a clean kill should re-invest their energies is a different hobby. That would be regardless of whether you were shooting from 50, 500, or 1,000 yards
Thank you! Well said. These guys only interest in deer seem to be using them as a target. If they want targets then they should go buy some. Your primary motivation for shooting a wild animal should never be (IMHO) just to see if you could hit it.

Quick Reply: Talk about long-range shooting...read this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.