Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Talk about long-range shooting...read this >

Talk about long-range shooting...read this

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Talk about long-range shooting...read this

Old 02-29-2004, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Talk about long-range shooting...read this

I'll echo what's already been said. I've taught my kids to never take a marginal shot or one out-of-range. One miss should tell you to stop before you wound the deer. At those kind of ranges, shoot at paper targets.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:55 AM

I read a magazine article about this type of shooting (I don't call it hunting) several years ago.
I had about 10 guys screaming at me when I said the same thing in a thread of mine.

Perspective, I guess
Old 03-01-2004, 09:47 PM
jjt

I had about 10 guys screaming at me when I said the same thing in a thread of mine.
lol atlasman I remember that thread well

i am a fan of long range SHOOTING but 50 shot@ 1000+yards at game is just slinging lead there is little or no skill (marksmanship or hunting) involved in that.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:20 AM
Typical Buck

i had a old guy tell me that they used to put salt on their bullets so the meat won't spoil does this sound about right
Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

To start I am disappointed since I thought there were people who could shoot accurately at a 1000 yards. From what I hear here I guess that don’t happen. I really don’t care how people go about having their fun. This site has a very high percentage of super ethical hunters compared to the average world, my opinion. Note that this seems to be an article written by a reporter that does not have a clue about hunting or ethics. He thinks the fifty shot thing is good reading. I kind of think that most readers who do not hunt see this as a big no no. I think back years ago when hunting in Jersey, drives with people wailing away at running deer was the norm. Seems there were times where 20 or more shots were taken at a single deer. Have people changed, well not all for sure. There are plenty of people out there who think the most ethical hunter is just as bad as some here have expressed their opinion about the long distance shooters and their habits. Oh well just my two cents.

By the way I do not agree with moderating opinion just because PETA might read what you have to say!!! They will misinterpret what is said no matter what or how it is said.

One Shot One Kill Striper Phil
Old 03-02-2004, 10:02 AM

I am not sure how I feel about this, but I do go an extra mile to make sure that I do not criticize anyone else's hunting methods. That said, my method is 25 yards out with a 45/70!
Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM

Like Timbercruiser says, it's hard to tell how many deer are maimed or killed by these guys. Another concern I have is how do the shooters know for sure that there are no other people on the hillside they're firing into? With that type of shooting going on, I wouldn't be found anywhere within 20 miles of that place.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

John shoots competitively with bench rifles in 1,000-yard shoots, has taken deer from up to 950 yards and calls long-range hunting a science.

Among the $10,000 in equipment he lugs around for the sport are five rifles which he uses for different conditions. The rifles are customized with calibers that range from 6 mm to 338////378.

The guns weigh up to 72 pounds, which is partly why they are fired from tripods or on gun benches. Another reason for the support is the extreme accuracy needed when firing at such distances.

At this distance, breathing too hard or squeezing the trigger off-center can throw the shot way off.

John, who hunts with one of a half-dozen or so long-range hunt outfits in Mifflin County, spends weeks experimenting with different loads in his bullets to find the combination of powder, primer and shell casings that best fits each rifle.
Man, most of you are making it sound like these are some beer swilling slob hunters who do nothing but make every hunter look bad.[&:]
If they were hunting elk , mule deer , or antelope , instead of whitetails in this manner would they still have been insulted as bad by most of you folks?
I get a kick out of all the times I see people post statements like "all hunters need to stick together" , and then I read posts like this.[:@]

Just because it's your way doesn't mean it's the only way!

Like Timbercruiser says, it's hard to tell how many deer are maimed or killed by these guys. Another concern I have is how do the shooters know for sure that there are no other people on the hillside they're firing into? With that type of shooting going on, I wouldn't be found anywhere within 20 miles of that place
Then you wouldn't be hunting any public land that I've ever been to! The guy fired 10 shots at the same deer in a 30 minute time span. I've counted more than ten shots in a 30 second time span on public land.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:13 PM

id dunno anout that
Old 03-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bowfanatic, if you take out the beer swilling part of your statement I think you will be dead on. By the way it wouldn't matter what they were shooting at.

Quick Reply: Talk about long-range shooting...read this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.