Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Crossings...

Old 02-12-2002, 03:06 PM

Default Deer Crossings...

Will deer try and cross rivers in the same place all year round? If I find a place on a frozen river with a lot of tracks, will deer use that same spot in the fall is what I really want to know. Are the river crossings like trails?
~Cody
Old 02-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Crossings...

Sorry BR but I don't think so. Travel patterns change with the seasons because food and cover sources change. During the open seasons deer are traveling from bedding areas to feeding areas, by the time rivers are frozen deer have changed their routines and are travelling from yarding areas to different food sources.
Crossings may be more consistant down south, but if your area gets cold winters the deer will change their habits/habitats to survive.
I'm not saying that your crossing won't be hot, but don't rely on seeing deer at a place in the fall just because you saw them there during another season. Try following the run to see if you can determine if it leads to something the deer might be interested in during hunting season.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:14 PM

Key word u said "frozen" when crossing a creek or a river deer look for the easiest way to cross and with the river frozen over that might be the case but i agree with tschaef on what he said but just kee scouting and keep ur eyes alert
Old 02-12-2002, 08:20 PM

I have to agree what are they crossing the river to get to ? I have a creek by my houre where deer cross every night to get to the farmers field but they dont cross in the same spot all the time
Old 02-12-2002, 08:21 PM

I used to hunt a river crossing it was only about 6 inches deep, for a couple miles each direction it was several feet deep. Every deer in the area new of this spot! and they used it frequently to evade other hunter's.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:29 PM

They cross the river to get to a feeding area. But I really don't have knowledge of what is on the other side. It is hard to get to and stay dry. So they do feed on this side in the summer.
~Cody
Old 02-14-2002, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

the river is froze, they are taking the shortest route, it will change during the fall.