Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Timbercruiser Ballistic tips

Old 02-12-2002, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Timbercruiser Ballistic tips

Timber, I posted on your thread that I have never had any trouble with ballistic tips, which in honesty I haven't, but I recently did a ballistics check on them with a homemade "mushroom" tank. I found that the caps do violently expand and fragment A LOT, however, the remaining mass of the bullet is still quite substantial, possibly why I have never not had an exit wound. With High velocities of mags, your remaining bullet mass may be much smaller than my slower .30-06 rounds, if the entire bullet doesn't fragment completely. For more gauranteed results, I'd go with another bullet though, to be safe.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Timbercruiser Ballistic tips

What finally soured me on the ballistic tips was this. About 5 years ago I bought my first box of ballistic tips (.270). I think I killed about 4 deer with them until I had an unusual experience. A 185# buck walked into the patch about 75 yards away completely broadside. I shot him just behind the shoulder and he folded like a duck. When I skinned him there was obviously a hole in the neck on the opposite side of the deer. The bullet hit a rib on entrance and changed direction, running up the interior of the neck, coming apart and a piece came out the hide on the opposite side of the shoot. No doubt the position of the deer or him being completely broadside. If it failed like that it could have just as easily gone back or down into a non-desireable area. A fellow hunter told me he shot a freak headed buck a few years ago in the shoulder and didn't drop him. The following year he saw the same buck and killed him. When he dressed the deer he found the bullet (257 Roberts) exploded on the shoulder. It didn't even make it into the body cavity. There were several deer lost in our club this year, almost everyone was a ballistic tip shot deer.