Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no? >

Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

I've had some guys say they are the greatest thing since the pocket on a shirt.
Others say they fragment too bad and offer no penetration or tissue damage.
Whattayathink?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Most of my experience with them has been with the 140 grain 7mm in a .280 Rem and a 7mm08...

In these rifles, accuracy and performance on deer sized gamehas been excellent... I've shot around 30 game animals with them, including 9 bull caribou , and most shots have resulted in pass throughs...They don't seem to be overly explosive in my rifles, about the same as an average cup/core bullet...

I will continue to use them because they are accurate, have good long range form and kill critters quite efficiently....
Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 AM
bigcountry

I think years ago, some guys had issues with the BT and that reputation has been carried over and over by word of mouth. In the past 10 years, I have used them and they perform great for your standard calibers. I like to use accubonds in my super fast movers.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Nosler BT and CT Ballistic Silvertips in my 270 and 7mm-08. I find them to be very accurate and haven't had them "blow up" on any of the deer I have harvested while using them. Actually I don't remember not getting a passthrough on any of them.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 AM

I asked the same question about a week ago, look under "nosler bullet question" and you will see about 4-pages of answers.

Hope this helps
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Pass throughs?
Interesting. I'd a thought that they would open up and not pass through.

BTW, I'm shooting the .300 WM in 180 gr.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

They are a great bullet if youuse the righr one. The lighter bullets per caliber are made for varmints. The heavier ones per caliber are intended for big game use. I have used them a lot and have had no problems with blow-ups or lack of penetration. For deer and antelops use the 95 grain in 6MM, the 100 or 115 for the 25 calibers, the 120 or 140 for the 6.5, the 140 or heavier in 7mm and the 150 or higher for the 30 caliber. One exception is the 30 caliber 125 grain which works well in 30-30 single shot rifles and pistols.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Only bullet I use on deer/elk/black bear. 'nuff said.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:58 AM

Heavy-for-caliber BSTs are good for deer sized game, but I prefer something a bit more 'traditional.' They open a bit too easy and can make quite the mess; a quick kill but a soupy field dress in my experienceI don't use them except on coyotes; I prefer Accubonds, basically a BST with a heavier jacket. Love 'em Hornady's SSTs are also a good sub for a polymer tipped bullet with a bit heavier jacket.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Spike

I like bt they have been working geat for me for the last few years i have used them on about every thing from deer on down i load them in both my 243, and 223 just about every thing i have shot with them drops were is was shot

Quick Reply: Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.