Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you decide if you get a head mount? >

How do you decide if you get a head mount?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you decide if you get a head mount?

Old 02-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you decide if you get a head mount?

I killed a 19 inch wide 9 point my first season that was pretty heavy and about 15 tall so I use that as a gauge for a mount. He was the only mount I had until 3 years ago when I killed an 8 pointer that was bigger. I do agree what people have said that it is a trophy in the eyes of the hunter that harvestesd the animal.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:32 PM

Arn't they all trophies? It all depends on how you wish to display your trophy. Whether it be a memory, plaque, shoulder mount, or even a full body mount. Everyone goes into the hunt wishing for a high scoring buck, but when they shoot they have decided what they want and they reserve that right when they purchased their license.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:31 PM

For me it all boils down to these few questions and in this order:
1) Can I afford to have this buck mounted? If yes, go to #2.
2) Do I have a place to display this buck? If yes, go to #3.
3) Does this buck hold a good memory for me? If yes, then go to taxidermist.
i also take this side
Old 02-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

For me it all boils down to these few questions and in this order:
1) Can I afford to have this buck mounted? If yes, go to #2.
2) Do I have a place to display this buck? If yes, go to #3.
3) Does this buck hold a good memory for me? If yes, then go to taxidermist.
I have one mount of a six pt. 17 1/2 inch spread. I learned alot from that deer mostly that when they look you in the eye right before they expire it is a most humbling experience. (never had that happen before, not to mention that although a direct heart shot, an initial wait of 45 minites I still bumped him twice! And that was after 30 minute waits inbetween. I thought it was a bad shot....til I field dressed him. Infact posted the pics quite awhile back. It was very unsettling when he looked me directly in the eyes at the last. Go figure... ) I had a shoulder mount done out of respect for him, and for what I experienced and learned. The animals we hunt are truly survivors and their will to do so is very exceptional.

I now have my 2003 buck at the taxidermists now, and it will be another McKenzie shoulder mt. He was aged at 3 1/2 to 4 yrs. Was he the biggest 8pt I have ever seen....No, but his rack is a very high one although I have not had him scored yet. The story behind the hunt is that I missed him the first day of rifle season here......something I rarely do is miss. Not bragging just the truth. He taunted and teased all season long and then dissapeared. I felt that he had either been taken by another legal hunter, or poached. My son was to sick for me to hunt and I also had started a new job. Then....the very last day of Muzzy season I had the chance to go out. And, guess who showed up!! This time his number was called, down in one shot as it should be. But that is just my way. When I cannot do it that way....that is when I will quit hunting. It was just something meant to be even though all odds were against him presenting himself over a month later.
That and respect for the animals that I love, respect and hunt is why he will also be gracing my wall sometime this Spring.

Regardless of why any of us make the choice to mount or not, it is a very personal one and the reason differs from one to the other.

Good Luck to you with the choice you make as to having your mount done. They can bring back so many memories and lessons learned over the years.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:56 AM

i would skull mount anything over 160 or so and if i got one up in the 170+ he would be getting a shoulder mount done on him. I had a guy offer to shoulder mount my deer for free this year so i couldn't pass that up so i'm getting my 160 deer mounted......
Old 03-21-2004, 07:46 PM

Why cant you guys just hunt for the pure adrenaline pumping excitement of it?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: timberjack82

Why cant you guys just hunt for the pure adrenaline pumping excitement of it?
I do hunt for the adrenaline rush, its just that a big deer gets my heart pumpin a heck of a lot harder than a little four pointer. I am pretty selective and i'm not about to shoot the first thing i see. The season if pretty long so why not go after a big deer if you have the chance. Its more of a challenge and you feel more rewarded. If i don't get a deer its no big deal to me but i am not about to shoot a little guy just to say i got something. just my opinion
Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 PM

imho , i keep trying for a buck as good as i have or better , if its worth shooting its worth mounting , if its not worth mounting shoot a Doe
I find nothing wrong with people shooting smaller deer but they should not complain that is all they see.
Save the small racked bucks for those who have not shot a Buck , who will relish the moment.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm going to kill a buck it is going on the wall. With a bow that would be something over 120 and with a gun 140 or so. Hard to judge that closely in the field but I try to take mature deer and let the little ones go. In the five years I've been hunting it has equaled one buck and 7 does and one mistake. Thought it was a doe ended up being a button.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:22 PM

I think if it is a good hunt and a decent buck, I owe it to the animal to make a trophy out of him.

So far I've only culled some 2.5 year old Arkansas bucks that did not need to be in the gene pool. They had three points on the left side and a 8 or 10 inch spike that curved a little and flattened out like a butter knife on the right on all but one of them and he was a 2.5 year old with dual 10" spikes, 2 years in a row I've run into this and I can't find the dad.

My Kansas buck more than makes up for doing the culling duty.

Quick Reply: How do you decide if you get a head mount?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.