Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you decide if you get a head mount? >

How do you decide if you get a head mount?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you decide if you get a head mount?

Old 02-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you decide if you get a head mount?

Are hunting party has none.

But we only have one worth mounting. My dads huge 14 pointer from northern MN.

My belief is if I don't ever get one that scores over 150 I will never get a head mount.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you decide if you get a head mount?

I too had the same view on head mounts until this year. I shot a fairly large 6pt with a 16" spread. Not a large rack by any stretch, but decided to get him mounted based on what happened on the hunt and what the deer had to go through. Sounds dumb I know, but my wife had a hand in not only the hunt, but tracking, finishing the deer off, gutting, and dragging him back out. By her suggestion, we decided to get him mounted. This will be my first.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:51 PM

There is IMO much more to a trophy than the number of inches it scores.

Its your decision, your choice - but don't take away some great memories and a beatifull mount because it does not score high.

JMO
Old 02-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rack all I am doing is posting a simple question and offering what I would do.

As you can see my family isn't into mounting heads at all.

I posed the simple question to get my mind off all the bashing I have been seeing in posts lately.

Does this bashing come about when the deer season is out of season?
Old 02-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no minimum requirement other than it be pretty nice. I got a better chance at hitting the lottery than I do of shooting a 150" animal where I live. This past seasons buck was my 1st to get mounted. In the future, I might mount one smaller, I might NOT mount one bigger. It all depends on my mood at the time and how nice I think the rack looks. Ones that don't get shoulder mounts will get the skulls whitened for display. I have several like that already and I really like the way they look.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:51 PM

if you're proud of it and you want to do something to mark the harvest
Old 02-12-2004, 06:58 PM

If he ain't big enough to mount, he ain't big enough to shoot.

If everyone only shot 3 1/2 year old bucks, we could all shoot 3 1/2 year old bucks. I will never understand why people will shoot a dink and then throw his rack in a pile in the garage with all the other dinks or let the dog chew on it. EVERYONE wants to shoot a big buck but most can't stand to end a season without killing something. A 1 1/2 year old buck is the dumbest deer in the woods. If you want the meat then shoot a doe and let the dinks grow.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:26 PM

If all I shot was 3 1/2 year old bucks, I MIGHT kill one more buck by the time I hang up my hunting gear- and I'm only 30 years old. It sure would be nice if all of the hunters in our group and on the neighboring properties would adopt such a policy, but the reality is that it will probably never happen. That school of thought is very possible on the right piece of land, provided that it's big enough. Most of us don't have that luxury though. I will continue to be more and more selective each year, and only kill bucks that are at least worthy of having an antler mount done, but only killing 3 1/2 year olds? I might as well quit hunting...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:32 PM
jjt

buckmine
i have worked along side a taxidermist for a couple of years now and can assure you there is no inch measurment. it is how the trophy measures up to the taker. i have seen every thing from a doe, 2 point, to a 40 inch muley an all were very proud to display there mount
Old 02-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

It all depends on the area that you hunt and the circumstances of the hunt.I hunt in alberta and saskatchewan where bucks often live to maturity and genetics are quite good and I have yet to have a whitetail shoulder mount done.I have killed several 140 and 150 class bucks but I see enough larger bucks in the area that I want to hold out for a really large or unique buck.If I hunted only in an area where deer seldom live to maturity and genetics were poor I might have a 140 class buck mounted.

Quick Reply: How do you decide if you get a head mount?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.