Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poachers! Any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Poachers! Any suggestions?

Went for a hike this afternoon looking for sheds and found 9 deer carcasses that appeared to be fresh. I would say they have been there for about two weeks. I'm guessing this because the last time we had a heavy snow was about two weeks ago. These carcasses were on top of the snow, some bones still had meat on them, and there was evidence of every scavanger in the county eating on them. All the hides were separate from the rib cages and hip/leg bones. Almost all the rib cages had one or more broken ribs on both sides - I'm guessing from a bullet or arrow wound. This just fries my butt to see this type of thing. I'm certain that these deer were poached (season ends Jan 1 here in MI). Not sure if I should call the DNR to report it because it's not my land. I only have permission to hunt 15 of the 200 acres of this property and the carcasses were on the part I don't have permission to hunt. I can walk on the other part of the land all day long, just not hunt it. Around mid-Dec last year, I found 6 carcasses in the same field, different part. Didn't think anything of it back then because it was just after gun season and we have ample doe permits here. Maybe the same guy. Odd part is, there is only two ways to access these fields - through the back of the sub I live in and from the sub next door which has a locked gate. I know that no one has accessed the land from my side because the drive goes through my back yard - no tire tracks through 2 feet of snow. That leaves the only one or two people that have a key to the gate from the other access point. Think I should mind my own business or call the DNR?
Old 02-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poachers! Any suggestions?

It is your business, call the DNR
Old 02-07-2004, 06:05 PM

Not sure if I should call the DNR to report it because it's not my land.
Call DNR IMMEDIATELY! I busted a guy this year who was poaching not oin my land. IF this/these guy(s) get caught there can also be a nice reward for you. Not to mention that the jack@$$ is stealing from you and the other people in your community.
BUST 'EM UP!
Old 02-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Make the call!!! This sorry person responsible for this needs to be held accountable.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree! Make the call!
They ARE stealing from you and from the rest of the real hunters in your area!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:16 PM

i know i keep saying this then poachers come up on here but... trail cam them
Old 02-07-2004, 10:18 PM

Call the DNR asap.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah call the DNR
Old 02-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

By all means call the DNR. I have to say though that if the property is 200 acres, there are more than two ways into it. Just because there are only two gates doesn't mean there are only two ways in. A little walking will find many ways of access even if they don't seem convenient.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:28 AM

I would not hesitate to call the DNR. I agree with everyone else.

Quick Reply: Poachers! Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.