Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what's more important to you, wieght or antler's? >

what's more important to you, wieght or antler's?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what's more important to you, wieght or antler's?

Old 02-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what's more important to you, wieght or antler's?

I used to haul a lot of constuction scraps to the land fill near where I live. The place was full of Antlers that people hunt so hard for. Most people don't have room to hang 40 years of Antlers up. I kept my one big set. Now its just for the meat. In many states including mine you don't have the option to just shoot a couple extra does. I had one double tag which allowed One Any Deer, One Antlerless deer and One Muzzle loader deer Antlerless only. I keep my any deer tag for last but always plan on shooting a doe to put it on.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:34 PM

Antlers only!! Although, I will take out a cull buck or a buck that I can see is on it's down swing.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find more satisfaction in large bodied deer than small bodied deer. If a deer with a nice large rack isn't huge in body I won't be unpset just a little surprised. I've seenpictures of many Texas deer with beautiful racks whose bodies appear on the small side to me (though some are decent). Having grown up in Michigan and done all my hunting here I see that the more northeren deer just get larger bodied to make it through the winters. I have taken some nice racks so far in my 37 years of hunting but no monster racks. Some of the deer were truly LARGE deer but not monster racks.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Antlers,we can shoot a lot of deer here so I can always get meat.A great rack just looks good.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt meat first and antlers (horns 'round here) later. Now that's not to say if a nice rack is the first to walk by (which never happens) I wouldn't shoot him. I'd love to kill one with a nice rack, but looking at one on the wall from last year won't be very good table fair for this year. But I say to each his own...............the more the rack hunters pass on, the more I'll get to see.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Antlers for me. A big deer is not nearly as good to eat as the young ones. And I usually get the oppurtunity to take a few does besides my buck every year. But we have huge bodies here anyway. Last I heard Minnesota still had the record for largest whitetail in the states at over 500lbs!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:50 AM

All in honestly, look for antlers first, (being in it for meat second to loving the sport). Bagging a 'wall hanger' or a 'monster' sure would be great but not a necessity. ~legal to shoot would have come first then size of body and last would be its rack. jmo.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:19 AM

I am an antler guy.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Weight , I don't trophy hunt .
Old 02-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weight matters for does, rack matters for bucks.

Quick Reply: what's more important to you, wieght or antler's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.