Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow Question

Old 01-27-2004, 08:09 AM

Default Bow Question

ok guys , this forum seems more likely to reply than the bowhunting ones , and I,m sure some of you hunt with bows as well. Here is my question: I will buying my first bow this week and have no clue what to look for in a bow. The only thing I know is that a longer cam to cam bow will be more forgiving for a newbie. Any input or suggestions is appriciated.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow Question

bigest mistake I made was buying a bow without help. Get your bow from an archery dealer who will have many makes and models in your price range. It needs to fit your hand to shoot consistantly. If you get set up right from the start it makes shooting the bow and learning how to shoot a lot more fun.

I can remember having a salesman tell me he had to shoot his arrows into 3 different bullseyes because if he shot all 6 arrows into 1 he'd take the nocks off some of them.

I thought yeah right give me a break .... well after about a week of shooting I was at that point too
Old 01-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slugman,
I did respond to your post in the bowhunting forum but I will respond here as well. Yes, a bow with a longer axle to axle length is more forgiving. However if you are going to be hunting in a treestand in dense woods then some people prefer a shorter bow for maneuverability (sp). Dual cam bows are generaly faster but they are also harder to keep tuned then single cam bows. In general I would say that with the technology on the market today I have not seen any new shooter have problems due to the fact that he was shooting a bow with a shorter axle to axle length. My cousin shoots a pse baby-g as his first bow (you could fit it inside mine) but he was just as accurate as I was with my bowtech. I also prefer dual cams personally because I feel they have a smoother draw and I like the faster speeds. I have never had a problem keeping it tuned as I take it to the bowshop a couple times a year for a tuneup. If you take care of your bow it will take care of you. Believe me, when you see the racks and racks of bows at Cabelas you will find something about each one that you really enjoy. Just shoot a couple and the one that fits you best will be sure to stand out above the others. Good luck.

Eric
Old 01-27-2004, 09:15 AM

i agree wth ne hunter, go to a professional bow shop and have them help you find what fits you best, it helps alot because many bow shops have shooting ranges located on the premises and you can test different bows.

also if you are a newbie you dont want to try and set your bow up yourself the first time; a bow shop will set up the bow for you, should be free of charge,

if you're concerned that a bow shop will be more expensive dont worry, many of the better level bow makers like mathews set their prices, so you're not going to find the same one much cheaper if at all some place else.

bows are not like guns you're not going to have several bows in a short amount of time, find a quality bow that you feel comfortable with and you'll be set for many years.

i would recomend the mathews fx. not the most expensive or the smallest bow but a very good product for the money.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of these guys have given you good information. The biggest mistake I made with my first bow was that is was a little too long for my 80% ground, 20% tree stand hunting. I now have a mathews SQ2 that is perfect for my hunting style. Look at some used bows as well, you can sometimes find a better bow for less money than a cheap new bow. Most of the time they already have the accessories on them almost ready to shoot.
2. It must fit your hand. Many of the bows that I pick up just feel like a piece of equipment, it should feel like an extension of your arm.
3.Don't worry about arrow speed. All of today's bows are fast and accurate if you set them up right.
4. Use a release (and a string loop on a short bow). A wrist strap style is very helpful and functional.
5. ***Get a whisker bisket arrow rest. The arrow can't fall off the rest.
6. If possible find a bow that has multi-directional string (zebra string or similar) so that you don't have to use anything to keep your peep site from rotating.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am relatively new to bowhunting (5 yrs.). I just decided get into it and first thing I did was talk with some people I know that bowhunted and get their opinions and insight. I then went to a local archery shot and simply bought a inexpensive/used bow. I have been happy with the bow but I came to find out that it wasn't set up properly for me (not going back to that shop!) I then hooked up with a very knowledgable person who taught me to shot and he was able to re-adjust my bow and service it and make my arows, etc. I lucked out that way.

I am know looking to get a new bow and (against most posts) I probably will not shoot it first (however, I do agree that you should shop around and shoot bows, if u have the time). I have made up my mind on a PSE Dakota. It is very similar to my current bow and that is what was important to me (didn't want to go from a 44" bow to a 32" bow, etc). I am know just trying to figure out where to get it (local shops, Cabelas, etc.) and what accessories to put on. Hopefully I will shoot it before I leave, just to make sure it will work for me.

PS - I checked around at local shops for prices on my bow and they ranged from $250 - $400!!!! (with $250 being thenormal MSR) Be careful and do a little investigation.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hay slugman i have been strickly bowhunting for more that 20yr. and the answers that you have received on your bow question is great! I can`t` add much to it .The only thing is if you are picking out a bow and yes the longer axle to axle is more forgiving! also make sure of the bracehight? a shorter bow can also be forgiving! and are really good hunting from a tree.just becouse of being able to move around a little better.But if your mostly hunting from the ground the longer bow will most likly work better! if you have any questins on bracehight.or any thing else your best bet will be go to your achery shop where you live and they can answer your questins a little better in person.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

definitely have your local bow shop set you up. that will form a relationship between you guys that could be vital. support your local pro shop, b/c if they go outta business, you will regret it. a bow shop will help you out and set you up with a good bow.