Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

nebraska deer hunting

Old 01-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Spike

Default nebraska deer hunting

Has anyone ever hunted deer in nebraska, i think nebraska is the most under rated state in the us as far caliber of bucks taken.
what does everyone think
Old 01-26-2004, 11:40 AM

Default RE: nebraska deer hunting

would love to hunt it but i hear it is hard to draw tag
Old 01-26-2004, 01:02 PM

Hey golfman. I'm from Omaha. I can understand you wanting Nebraska to have a better name in the trophy deer hunting but currently the stats do not support it when you compare it to Kansas or Iowa, our neighbors. We are always discussing/arguing that same topic on the Nebraska Game & Parks Site I listed below. Come and join us in the Hunting Forum as a local Nebraskan.

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us

I'm a bowhunter and Mz hunter first so I wouldn't know how hard it is to get a rifle permit but I'm sure some popular zones are hard. Archery and Mz tags are unlimited and for the whole state. The only time I pick up a rifle is to fill antlerless tags.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

I have lived in and hunted in Nebraska all my life. I haven't ever had any problems drawing a tag. The biggest problem, as Lefty mentioned, is that Iowa and Kansas tends to have bigger deer or the simple fact that a lot of Nebraskans don't even worry about having their bucks scored. I saw 4-5 bucks this year that were huge in my mind and the hunters said that they wouldn't even have them mounted. It all depends on where you go and if you can get permission to go to the good areas. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you guys, I hunt near the Neb. border. Definately the most underrated state for getting a huge buck. Does "Del Austin" and the "General" ring a bell?