Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to post Trail Cams??

Old 01-13-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Where to post Trail Cams??

Well, deer season is over here in TN and all the Walmarts and such are getting rid of there deer stuff so I decide now should be a good time and spend $50 on a cheap trail cam..... I dont have any clue where I should set it up and how high of the ground... Maybe openings to fields on a trail they travel a lot or to throw out some corn and apples and carrots and everything to attract them.... Its not really baiting now because the season is over..... thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where to post Trail Cams??

Tyler05,
We have 7 motion cameras (several different kinds). We have taken some pretty cool pictures the last few years. My advise to you is to scout like your setting up a tree stand. Find the active area & pick out a creek crossing, a heavy trail, any type of funneling area, or maybe even a scrape line & strap that bad boy on a tree (3&1/2 feet off the ground). Don't set it up over corn as you will get alot of pictures of smaller doe & yearlings & every stinking racoon in your state. Check out our game-cam section on our website.

Doemasters.com
Old 01-14-2004, 02:57 PM

scout your hunting area and put them in the hot spots
Old 01-15-2004, 08:24 AM

Good idea. Set them up on known travel trails or feeding areas. But that is still baiting, not there is anything wrong with that IMO.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scout and find intersections of heavily used trails, food plots, mineral licks, fence lines .......... Set it up 2 to 2 1/2 feet off the ground and try to put it 7 to 12 feet from the trials. These cameras are alot of fun and sometimes the fun is putting the cameras in strange places. Some my best new stand are places I never thought about until I scouted it with the cam!

Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2004, 08:24 AM

The first thing I realized was that I was setting the camera too high. In the first
picture the deer is within 6ft. of the camera and the camera is mounted a little over 2ft. above the ground.

Also make sure you wear rubber gloves and boots when setting up the camera and use a good cover scent. I always wipe the camera casing down with scent eliminator after I have it set up. I like to setup my camera from 6 -10 ft from the trail. Try to face your camera to the north to avoid direct sunlight. Dont check the camera every day. Once a week or even two is plenty. The less you disturb the site the better. Keep a roll of film and fresh batteries with you everytime you go to check the camera. Make sure the "redeye reduction" setting is OFF. This tends to make the deer more nervous. I prefer to setup on trail funnels between feeding and bedding areas. If you want to take alot of pictures alot quicker setup on some bait or other food source. Just make sure you set your camera shot intervals for longer time period. This way you dont burn a whole roll of film on two does feeding in front of the camera. Starting out, this is probally the best way for you to get used to setting up the camera because you wont have to wait as long between rolls. Good luck and post some pics when you get them.

Old 01-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, I use a digital. I like to place the camera up higher and aim it angling down. Put it up about chest high and take a stick or something and put behind it to cause the camera to aim down to a point about 2 foot off the ground. Put a pile of corn about 20 feet from the camera. Mine has a red lasar so you can see where it's aiming. That will place the deer's head where you want it when it takes the picture. Big bucks will come to corn, mainly at night, though, I have the pictures to prove it, and yes you will get pics of other animals, but that's the great thing about a digital, it doesn't cost you anything for coon pics. I like to wear rubber boots when I check the camera. My 64mb flash card will hold 200 black and white pics, and if I don't check it for a few days, it will be full.