Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why would you want a pass through?? >

Why would you want a pass through??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why would you want a pass through??

Old 01-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why would you want a pass through??

i have spent many years studying snipers and professional assassins. the LAST thing that a professional assassin wants is a pass through. a pass through is just lost energy from a bullet. You want all the energy of the bullet hitting your target. by shooting THROUGH the deer/person, you lose energy. why would you want this?? i try to find a bullet that expands alot. all my bullets pass through, but most die within sight. and the entrance hole is good enough to meup to this point. so, as i was reading Zrexpilot's message, why would a bullet that doesnt pass through considered junk? thanks for the info in advance.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why would you want a pass through??

It's nice to have 2 holes for tracking. In most cases it means more blood ..Bill
Old 01-08-2004, 07:10 PM

Ditto to what 338 said.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep nice blood trail. I also dont buy into energy crap. The more devastion created to tissue the quicker the kill in my opinion. Shock value is what kills, not energy. Just my $.02 though
Old 01-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

This season I kiilled two bucks, on the first one I recovered my bullet. This deer ran about 30 yards and I was able to find him, even though there was no blood trail. Had he run much more I may not have recovered him at all. On the second buck, my bullet failed to expand. The exit was no larger than the entrance. This deer ran 75 yards or so through some very thick pines and briars. He did not leave any blood trail. Tracking him in the dark was nearly impossible and I feel very lucky to have found him!
Both these bucks were dead the instant they were shot, they just happened to run! Most heart/lung shots do run a little ways.
I know the theory of having a bullet expend all its energy inside an animal, but even when that happens the animal may run 100 yards are so before dropping. That is why I'd rather a bullet that expands AND exits, a good blood trail can mean the difference between venison on the table and buzzard bait!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:42 PM

i know wnat you mean kobear i hit a doe at 30 yards with 150 gr. Super-X Hollow Point, 30-30 i had 1 hole and it was like a bomb with bits of copper all over in the heart, lung, liver, and close to the gut. she jumped when we were pushing bush i hit her on the run and she just slowed down to a walk then fell over like she had gone 100 yards, i try for 1 hole
Old 01-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Deer bleed a LOT more if there is an exit wound. I have had bad luck with a rapid expansion bullet on larger deer. I like nosler partitions and barnes x bullets.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I also dont buy into energy crap. The more devastion created to tissue the quicker the kill in my opinion. Shock value is what kills, not energy. Just my $.02 though

More energy transfered to animal = more devastation to tissue. Shock comes from transfer of energy.

I prefer a pass through any day also. I only get to shoot slugs where I live so they all hit hard.......I do however prefer a solid slug like a Winchester hollow point vs slugs that try to "spin" like bullets ex. Breneke. I have killed a few deer with Breneke's (My gun loves them) but I have also skinned a few and found them inside the opposite hide......which should not happen from shotgun range IMO.

I killed a big buck this year with a Winchester and it blew right through him like the wind.......he never even looked like he got hit. He ran almost 100 yards before he ran out of blood. Perfect double lung shot.........blood EVERYWHERE..........just wasn't placed in a spot that would have transfered the knockdown power from slug into the deer.

Where you shoot a deer has a lot to do with how much energy will be absorbed by the tissue. If you blow through 1/2" of meat on each side between the ribs and nothing but soft lung in the middle........not much energy is spent. It's like a hot knife through butter. Shoot the same deer with the same slug in the neck or shoulders and it will be a totally different story.......especially if you catch the spine. Either way kills........I just prefer blood trails as big and red as possible so I know the deer will be at the end of that red brick road.

I just shoot 'em right behind the shoulder......no need to worry about energy or shock or any of that fancy talk.......just go get your deer
Old 01-09-2004, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

KoBear, military rounds are meant more for maiming than for killing, the idea is to create havoc in the person being shot body, if you wound somebody it takes the wounded of the battle field and the 2 men to carry them.

I prefer to use corloks myself the bullet expands massively staying in one piece causing massive internal shock, little hole in, big hole out, tons of blood for trailing. Hunting bullets are designed to kill, not maim.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:21 AM

Ex., the 5.56 mm round is by far the most widely used round for assault rifles in this country, but I doubt you would choose that round for deer hunting. Just cause this is a good round to nuetralize people, dosen't mean that it is a good deer hunting round.

Quick Reply: Why would you want a pass through??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.