HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why would you want a pass through??
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
atlasman

Default RE: Why would you want a pass through??

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I also dont buy into energy crap. The more devastion created to tissue the quicker the kill in my opinion. Shock value is what kills, not energy. Just my $.02 though

More energy transfered to animal = more devastation to tissue. Shock comes from transfer of energy.

I prefer a pass through any day also. I only get to shoot slugs where I live so they all hit hard.......I do however prefer a solid slug like a Winchester hollow point vs slugs that try to "spin" like bullets ex. Breneke. I have killed a few deer with Breneke's (My gun loves them) but I have also skinned a few and found them inside the opposite hide......which should not happen from shotgun range IMO.

I killed a big buck this year with a Winchester and it blew right through him like the wind.......he never even looked like he got hit. He ran almost 100 yards before he ran out of blood. Perfect double lung shot.........blood EVERYWHERE..........just wasn't placed in a spot that would have transfered the knockdown power from slug into the deer.

Where you shoot a deer has a lot to do with how much energy will be absorbed by the tissue. If you blow through 1/2" of meat on each side between the ribs and nothing but soft lung in the middle........not much energy is spent. It's like a hot knife through butter. Shoot the same deer with the same slug in the neck or shoulders and it will be a totally different story.......especially if you catch the spine. Either way kills........I just prefer blood trails as big and red as possible so I know the deer will be at the end of that red brick road.

I just shoot 'em right behind the shoulder......no need to worry about energy or shock or any of that fancy talk.......just go get your deer