Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Just wondering...... what are some of the not so smooth moves you've ever done while deer hunting? >

Just wondering...... what are some of the not so smooth moves you've ever done while deer hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just wondering...... what are some of the not so smooth moves you've ever done while deer hunting?

Old 01-01-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Just wondering...... what are some of the not so smooth moves you've ever done while deer hunting?

One of my recent smooth moves was when i was sucking on a piece of hard candy, cinnamon to be exact , and trying to grunt at the same time. The candy got stuck on the end of the grunt & it sounded like a deer that needed the Heimlich manuever. Then I tried to suck it back into my mouth and nearly choked to death on it. I didn't get a deer that day. They may have been laughing to hard to come out.[8D]
Old 01-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just wondering...... what are some of the not so smooth moves you've ever done while deer hunting?

Several years ago while drawing on the biggest buck I've ever seen, I pinched the arrow between my fingers (didn't use a release back then) and saw the arrow come off the rest. I canted the bow to get the arrow back where it belonged and hit my rattling antlers causing the buck to look up at me.

I didn't get him.[:'(]
Old 01-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just wondering...... what are some of the not so smooth moves you've ever done while deer hunting?

Only you sunset. Maybe you should invent the Cinnamon flav. grunt call.!
Old 01-01-2004, 04:26 PM

My most recent was on opening day of shotgun sitting on the edge of a 5 acre huckleberry field 8 pointer ran by chasing a doe umungst the excitement I threw the gun up but forgot to take the safety off. By the time I got the safety off I had no shot. That was really smooth.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:29 PM

LOL farmcntry.......
fess up , we want to hear your stories !!!
Old 01-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have so many it would take 4 pages just on my alone. Hmm let's see the best were:

Trying to pee in a bottle in my stand when a buck appears. I suddenly realized I was missing the bottle. No deer that day.

I climed into my stand one day and there was a house dog that barked for 3 hours straight. I said to heck with it and walked around the prop. scouting. I decided to try the next stand down. I climb up, drop my bow, down and up again, drop my release, down and up again, drop my call, down and up again. I got out some scent and grunted. Here comes a deer. 5 yards away and I kick off the grunt call standing up. I pull back and the arrow comes off the rest. Get it back on and aim and release. The deer just stands there!!!!! Oh I hit, I think he was still laughing at me and didn't realize he was hit. I got him though!
Old 01-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Banned

The Not Putting Two And Two Together Syndrome: It was about 7 years into hunting so I can't put inexperience out there as an an excuse for this one. I believe this happened prior to the season I made the switch from rifle to bow. I was walking beside a well travelled trail along a stream and having no luck whatsoever on the trip out, opted to take to the higher ground through a softwood swamplike area. The trek was much shorter as I wouldn't be following the meandering of the stream and could make a bee line to my start off point. Well halfway though I stopped to admire a fine set of antlers that were protruding from behind some scrub. It was only after examining them closely for about 10 seconds from a distance of no more than 30 feet, that the buck to whom the antlers belonged bounded away. I hate to say it but it was only when I actually saw the deer that I realized "Hold it.....theres antlers protruding from the scrub" in a different context. I never made the final connection until much too late. S
Old 01-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

My most shining moment happened last year when I walked about 1/2 mile back to my stand. I got to the top rung of my ladder took my backpack off and strapped it to the treestand. Raised my bow and hung it. I didn't even get a chance to turn around and sit when I noticed 2 does and a buck about 75 yards out in a soybean field. They got to about 50 yards and looked like they were breaking off into the hardwoods so I grunted. The buck stopped and let the 2 does go as he headed my way. I reached for my bow. My heart was pounding. There was 1 problem though. I forgot my f&*^%$$ quiver and my arrows!!! I was doing some practice before I went out and left them on the ground near the 3 d target and never realized. The most idiotic moment of hunting in my life. I ende up getting the buck to about 15 -20 yards and sat there and watched him.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like farmcntry, I could right a book. I have to say that I'm not the most graceful hunter.

I've dropped the bow, arrows, all that out of the tree and had to climb down, but never forgot my entire quiver of arrows like NY does!

Two that stand out that I'm still tic'd about: opening rifle, 8-pt. tailing a doe grunting his balls off not paying attention to anything but the doe passes me at 15 yards. Safety off, cross hairs on his chest, squeezed the trigger and nothing. Thought it was a dud so I rechambered another round (semi auto 06), rescoped him and same thing, nothing. I figured out after I watched him disappear into the thickets that I didn't chamber the slide closed all the way. DUHHHHH! Best part is I heard a shot 10 minutes later. One of the land partners shot him! Nice of me ha?

And two, baggy gloves and a Marlin 30/30 don't get along. Slows the hammer down just enough to not fire when there's a huge 8pt. 50 yards out - every time.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:09 AM

I knew you had some!!
If ya didn't fess up, I was going to have to go ask NYBowhunter.

Quick Reply: Just wondering...... what are some of the not so smooth moves you've ever done while deer hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.