Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new to deer hunting

Old 12-22-2003, 08:12 AM

Default new to deer hunting

I just started deer hunting for the first time ever, I'm using a tree stand, I want to know what is the best height to put one up a tree to keep the deer from spotting me, right now it is about 12 ft. up, and do I put it near a trail or food source??
Old 12-22-2003, 09:05 AM

Default RE: new to deer hunting

depends on terrain you hunt, my ladder stands are all 15 ft. and higher, try the food source first, my opinion, height of stand doesnt matter, wind direction is the main key be down wind of the deer
Old 12-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

First you have to locate travel lanes to & from food sources and bedding areas, then you need to set up on the downwind side of the deer. The height of a stand can vary greatly depending upon conditions, depending on the area you can go to high and have your shooting lanes blocked by tree limbs, you can go to low and be exposed to the deer, the correct height is where you are up at least 15 feet and still have clear shooting lanes or any height where you have clear shooting lanes, but limbs block the view deer may get of you.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Banned

lfranklin62, welcome to the message board. Stand height depends on a variety of factors dictated by the area you are hunting in. And yes situate it on trails and in the vicinty of food sources. Not all trees are created equal and neither are locations. The deer have to be there first. 12 feet can be adequate. I think you'll have to determine that for yourself. Just remember, don't position your stand so high in the tree that the ground is out of range. Good hunting.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:43 AM

Also, try to position it in good cover to break up your outline. Cover is a major factor that shouldn't be forgotten. To many times I have had deer come into range and look dead at the stand to see what else is new. If someone comes into your home and moves in a new chair you tend to notice. The same applies with deer. If you don't conceal the stand they will bust you.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

lfranklin one thing I would suggest is if you do know someone that is an experienced hunter try and hook up with them, even if it is for nothing more than stand placement and heighth, there is an awful lot of factors that determine stand height and placement, heck there are times when you are better off on the ground.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

15 feet with backing is good. Food sources can and do produce deer but I prefer to hunt on the trails leading from beds to breakfeast. Put yourself somewhere inbetween where they are and where they are going, think safety(ie:cover, ridges.etc - where deer movements will be concealed by the landscape) when picking a spot to set up a stand this will max your odds of seeing game during hunting hours. Make sure you know the direction of the animals and how it pertains to the wind direction (perdominant & daily). Keep the wind blowing away from the animals(on your nose or cheek).
Old 12-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

I would agree with everyone that has posted thus far. It all depends on the surroundings. 15 feet high is generally the key, but you have to be sure to have free lanes to shoot in.

Welcome to the board!