Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

High Fence Part#2

Old 12-19-2003, 12:45 PM

Default RE: High Fence Part#2

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Well I think you know my position on this. But if it's happening year after year you wouldn't have the opportunity to manage them in the first place. Hey you just proved my/our point. You want to take these animals that are free roaming that have the ability to travel to other properties and fence them in so they can't. That's not right. Again it's simple. You even stated these deer will go to the next area if given the chance and you want to take their natural instinct and their ability to do that away from them and then shoot them. Just because you are feeding them and trying to manage the herd, doesn't mean that you should posses them. They are wild animals and keep them that way. Trying to do it for money or not, you don't own wildlife. Let me say that again WILD life. I would say to the person that owns the ranch to cut his losses and except a certain percentage of waste (as in any business) or get a new career. Boy this fence discussion is going to give me an ulcer. lol here we go again. Put up your dukes!!
NY Bowhunter,

Was this reply meant for me, or were you actually replying to someone else? If you were replying to me, I have not made the statements you attribute to me in your quote.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

In Nebraska, a landowner can buy a landowner tag, if and only if, they own more than 40 acres. If they own 80 acres, they can get 2 tags. If they own more than 80 acres, it makes no difference. They still only allow 2 landowner tags. The big kicker is if 2 different people own the land. Then each can get 2 tags, but then it goes to 160 acres, not 80 acres. Interesting huh?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

no Ihook not you. Actually I have no idea who it was meant for. Nobody in particular i suppose. If anything probably that trophyhunter.lol. You see i've become disoriented and dizzy to the point where my head hurts over this topic. I know this is probably his plan to weaken me and make me relent my position. Find a crack in the seam and go for the kill. But I will stand mighty. I have a lot of fight left for mr. trophy and what the heck am i talking about.
bye
Old 12-19-2003, 05:47 PM

trophyhuntr I don't know about other states but in Georgia the deer belong to the state and if you put up a deer proof fence all wild deer must be removed
Old 12-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

God gave animals freerange of the earth. This doesn't make them ours.

God gave man free will here on earth. This still doesn't make them ours.

Again, nothing wrong with it, just wouldn't hunt them myself.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I had the money, I would definitely fence a contiguous 15,000 acre block. That is almost 5 x 5 miles of property and I don't think there would be a hunting advantage there, unless you were making drives and setting up on the fence row, assuming there is the type of cover we have on our hunting lands.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

Thats BS!! I dont think that is enough money for the deer. If someone wants to steal wild animals from the public they should have to pay more than $250 bucks. JMO
Dude, did you ever harvest a deer in your home state of Ohio?

Let`s assume the answer is yes.

Did you pay MORE THAN $250.00 for your resident tag?

Let`s assume that you did not pay more than $250.00 for your license.

Did you STEAL that deer from the public? Are you more special than the guy with the high fence? You get some kind of discount?

Sometimes we must disconnect our hearts to intelligently discuss an issue.

BTW, this hypothetical guy who is fencing his land....he honestly wants every single deer out of the fence anyhow. When you invest that kind of money, you don`t want the wrong animals in there breeding.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

with all due respect big country.

He doesn't have "ownership" of the deer he harvested. It was wild. He's paying for a tag to hunt "wild" animals and not to buy one to own.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

NY Bowhunter, I understand your point. I could say that dead or alive....it is now his. Then we could debate that too.

I honestly understand buckeyebuckhntrs thoughts on this, and I agree with him. Every animal should be removed from the land either before, or immediately after the fence is put up.

Now, that is easy for you to say if you do not have a high fence property.

And it is fairly easy for me to say since our biggest high fence pen is 400 acres.

Can you imagine what a job that would be for somebody erecting a 10-15 thusand acre enclosure.

I will let you in on a little secret....not that many years ago I was not in favor of high fences either. Even when I was against them, I sure never wanted the government to tell anybody what they could do on their own land.

I think we ALL agree that is a slippery slope we want to aviod.

Yes, canned hunts a some folks call them can occasionally draw some attention from the news people, but only when they don`t have much to cover.

IMO, that is not a serious issue to the future of our sport.

BTW, the people who get offended when they see this coverage of high fence hunts on the news are usually complaining while stuffing a hamburger down their throat!

Anyway, I respect you opinion on this issue NY Bowhunter, and appreciate the fact that your disagreement with my point of view was done in a civil manner.

Now, I have to get started on my honeydo list so I can go move some stands for the second bow season!
Old 12-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

If I owned 15,000 acres, I don't believe I would need to fence it in. So a few bucks might get killed on neighboring property...big deal!

Quick Reply: High Fence Part#2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.