HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   High Fence Part#2 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46753-high-fence-part-2-a.html)

trophyhuntr 12-19-2003 07:00 AM

High Fence Part#2

Well the other thread got so long i wanted to ask a simple question. Lets say you had 15,000 acres in whatever state and wanted to get into guiding hunts on your land. We all know you need to do your home work Ex: buck doe ratio kind of genetics on property Ex: alot of bucks with kickers, drop tines,do the bucks have big mass or whatever, my question is this, You put years of preperation harvesting does, letting bucks walk to get to mature age, feeding protein to get mass during growing stages in velvet and so on and notice that you always hear alot of shots year after year on the border of your property and see stands and hunter hunting the edges of your property religiously, what do you do? I have a feeling i know what most will say, but no matter all of us would be pissed to watch your hard work go to those that do nothing but hunt fence lines, remember this happens year after year and you are trying to make a living off your hunters, would it then cross your mind to fence, just asking?

formula1 12-19-2003 07:21 AM

RE: High Fence Part#2

I personally would not fence the property. I would lean more toward building natural barriers in areas where other hunters hunt the lines and try to encroach on your efforts. You could also modify the cover, browse and food sources that exist on the edges to be less attractive to deer, though you probably would not eliminate the possibilty of losing a deer to a neighbor altogether.

15000 acres? If I had 15000 acres, I could never be so greedy that I would want to stop my neighbors shooting deer on their property. How much could it really hurt my program? Very little, I think, because there is just too much you can do to keep the deer on your 15000 acres.

Just my opinion!!!

NEB.BuckHunter 12-19-2003 07:54 AM

It would definitely cross my mind. It all depends on what you have the deer for I guess. If it's to eventually have hunts there, then, why put up the fence. If it's for your own enjoyment of having the deer there to see your hard work in the end, then fence it. If you raise them so that only you are able to shoot the deer that you raise, I would fence it as well. That's my opinion though.

lhook7 12-19-2003 08:29 AM

Good question. I am not in a position to do it now, but in the future I would like to purchase a ranch here in Texas and turn it into a hunting operation. If I ever do this it will be a business venture. I have given it a lot of thought and believe I would do whatever made the most sense for my business. If that means I have to put a high fence around the property to intensively manage the herd, I would definately do so. Any decision I made on that issue would be based strictly on the economics of the business.

trophyhuntr 12-19-2003 08:37 AM

also remember this alot of ranches only fence in the sides that there is hunting pressure on, dont have to fence in the whole thing leave the entrance side open , just a thought

NEB.BuckHunter 12-19-2003 08:39 AM

If you were doing this to build an economically profitable business to have a continuous cash flow in the future. I believe that you would definitely want to fence all four sides....to protect your investment.

NY Bowhunter 12-19-2003 08:44 AM

Well I think you know my position on this. But if it's happening year after year you wouldn't have the opportunity to manage them in the first place. Hey you just proved my/our point. You want to take these animals that are free roaming that have the ability to travel to other properties and fence them in so they can't. That's not right. Again it's simple. You even stated these deer will go to the next area if given the chance and you want to take their natural instinct and their ability to do that away from them and then shoot them. Just because you are feeding them and trying to manage the herd, doesn't mean that you should posses them. They are wild animals and keep them that way. Trying to do it for money or not, you don't own wildlife. Let me say that again WILD life. I would say to the person that owns the ranch to cut his losses and except a certain percentage of waste (as in any business) or get a new career. Boy this fence discussion is going to give me an ulcer. lol here we go again. Put up your dukes!!

trophyhuntr 12-19-2003 08:53 AM

ding ding, aint it fun though

Charlie P 12-19-2003 09:13 AM

I asked this on the other thread and never got an aswer. If you decide to put up a high fence around your property do you have to purchase the deer from your state?

trophyhuntr 12-19-2003 09:18 AM

no, its your property, u can do whatever you want there are no laws that i know of in urban areas on this, could be wrong, but no you dont have to pay