Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DOES HE HAVE A CHANCE?

Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 PM

Default DOES HE HAVE A CHANCE?

I WENT TO THE WOODS TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS SEASON WITHOUT BOW IN HAND. I WAS PUTTING A STAND ON SOME LAND I CANT HUNT UNTIL GUN SEASONS ARE OVER. I SET MY STAND DOWN TO SEARCH FOR A GOOD SPPOT/STRAIGHT TREE, WHEN HERE COMES A YOUNG BUCK WITH PROMISE. ONE ANTLER HAS ALREADY DROPPED BUT THE OTHER SIDE HAD 3 TALL WIDE POINTS . AND HE LOOKED LIKE A 1 1/2 TO 2 YR OLD BUCK. HE GOT WITHIN 5 YDS OF ME ON THE GROUND BEFORE HE FIGURED OUT SOMETHING WAS WRONG AND LEFT BUT NOT REALLY FAST JUST A CAUTIOUS TROT.
HERE IS THE DEAL. HE CAME IN CARRYING HIS FRONT LEFT LEG.
IT HAD BEEN SHOT HIGH TO THE FRONT QUARTER OF THE SHOULDER.
HE LOOKED HEALTHY. WAS EATING HONEYSUCKLE AS HE WENT.DOES HE HAVE A CHANCE TO LIVE? OR IS THIS WOUND GONNA GET HIM? GUN SEASON ENDED A WEEK AGO SUNDAY. SO PROBABLY A WEEK TO 10 DAYS AGO FROM BEING SHOT.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:47 PM

Default RE: DOES HE HAVE A CHANCE?

Yeah, he'll probably make it. As long as no dogs or others predators find him. The cold air of late season also helps from diseases and bugs and such. I'd say he'll be fine in a few weeks. They're tough as hell.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:50 PM

i think it depends on what area of the country you live in. i would have to think if he survived for 10 days or so, he won't actually die from the wound itself. if you live in an area where harsh winters make it hard for the animal to move around and find food then he definately has a disadvantage. also if there is a high predator population in your area it's hard to say how long he'll last. let us know if you see this one again.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

It's hard to say...

We had a 3 legged doe running around last year which got around very well, and had obviously gotten used to it's loss of a leg. From what others said ( I had not seen it ) it appeared to be an older deer, and when all the does ran, she would keep up. The wound was also said to be old..

The biggest problem comes in the winter, if it isn't clever, it will have a hard time getting food without being able to scrape the snow away with the front leg.

It also depends on the severety of the wound. It could heal too...
Old 12-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like he'll make it to me. About 20 years ago I hunted a bean field and there was a 3 legged doe feeding there. I had the same quandry, but I watched a while and she seemed to get along fine. She would feed on her front knee. When she had eaten every thing in reach, she would bounce and turn on her hind feet and eat all she could reach there. i watched her on several hunts in that bean field. I was really glad to see her each night. A live decoy!
Old 12-15-2003, 08:03 PM

I LIVE IN SOUTHERN PART OF ILLINOIS. SO DOES THE DEER.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:13 PM

PLEASE QUIT SCREAMING AT US AND.....

turn your caps off please!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

My guess is that if he made it this far, he'll make it another year...unless another hunter takes him. Deer are pretty resilient animals. I have seen people shoot the from legs out from under a deer and it keeps going. It's all the survival instinct. He should be fine.