Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 i have a question about teaching youths: >

i have a question about teaching youths:

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i have a question about teaching youths:

Old 12-15-2003, 09:16 AM

Default i have a question about teaching youths:

just about everythig there is about the outdoors. i know my way around the woods pretty well and thought i knew everything there was to know about deer.....boy was i wrong. i'm just learning how to properly hunt turkey. my question is this, my 11 year old step-son (i think of him as my own) is a few months away from turning 12. i can't get him interested in the outdoors!!!!!!
he was born here (in the mountains of pennyslvania), it she be born into him. but he consider's himself a "city boy" ( too much damn mtv). how do i get him into it. he's the type of person who is very competative, i'm thinking of using this to my advantage to try to get him into hunting and the "nature" thing. he is they type of person who i think would make a great marksmen/hunter just because he always wants to be better.....the only problem is getting him to come out in the woods with me. also, he won't shoot anything over a .22!! he's afraid to shoot even a 30-30! HELP ME PLEASE!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: i have a question about teaching youths:

That's a tough one man. I started taking my son in the woods in one of those back packs he's been tagging along ever sense. Honestly you might not be able to get him interested in hunting if he's not showing an interest by now.

If you don't bowhunt maybe that's a way to start something new for both of you. You could learn it together. One thing about shooting a bow there ain't bang or sore shoulders.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:38 AM

Default RE: i have a question about teaching youths:

im going through the samething with a 4 yr old, my son but i see alot of his mom obviously my ex in him, i have learned this dont try to push them to hard, let it flow naturally, if it happens it happens i agree on the MTV remark