Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ? for hunters that butcher their own deer >

? for hunters that butcher their own deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

? for hunters that butcher their own deer

Old 12-15-2003, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ? for hunters that butcher their own deer

I skin the deer asap. Usually right in the bush. I carry a small game hoist and gambrel in my pack. Next the deer is reduced to main cuts. IE. remove both shoulders,backstraps,tenderloins and hams. all is packed out in a pack frame. It sure beats draggin a deer. The meat then goes in the fridge for a couple f days . After that it is taken out and cut into roasts and burger. I don't do steaks. If I want steaks I take out a roast and make steaks at that time.The meat freezes and keeps better if left in bigger pieces. The most importent step is when butchering is to remove all fat,sinew, blue membrain from the meat. That is where the "gamey " taste is.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

How long you wait to butcher after the kill is personal preference and weather, I hang mine, skin it down cutting the head off and as long as it is not warm/hot will let it hang over night and butcher it if it is not going to be cold enough to let it age. I know folks who butcher right after they skin no matter what.

If the weather is going to stay between a night time low of the mid 20's and a day time high of 40-45 degrees I will leave them hang for a week or maybe a little longer and then buthcher them. To me there is a difference in the tenderness, not substantial, but to me worth it.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

We used to let the deer hang for a few days after it is taken and checked in. The last few years, though, it has been too warm, 50-75 during the first part of the season. So, going back a few years, we would hang them for 2-3 days, then skin and de-bone into the various cuts that we wanted. Now, it's once the deer is checked in and the day's hunting is over, meat cutting party!
Old 12-15-2003, 05:25 PM

Hey Big Guy Sounds like a plan! Do you fully gut the deer to remove the tenderloins? Do you bag the separate pieces? Do you do any trim work before leaving the carcass behind? Doesn't all that meat leave a bloodbath down your back? How do you store it in your vehicle while getting it back home?
Old 12-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I usually don't gut the deer. Just open it up enough to get the tenderloins out. I also bag the pieces in new garbage bags before putting in my pack one bag 2 shoulders and any burger trimings, bag two contains one t-loin,one backstrap and one ham. Bag 3 same as bag 2. I bone out any meat on the neck and back bone for burger although not much is left once the shoulders and back straps are removed.All three bags are put into a duffle bag and tied on to my pack frame. The pack frame goes in the back of my truck for the ride home. Just be sure to keep your orange on while hangin. and skinnin it in the bush. Don't forget to tag the deer. I carry the tagged head out with me. I also put the tagged head in a plastic garbage bag when I get to the truck to keep the blood clean up to a minimum.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:45 PM

to answer your question yes the meat and ice can touch.
i shoot, gut, hangup and skin, quater, debone,and soak in salt ice water for 48hrs - then eat
Old 12-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Yesterday I was talking to feller who's step daughter had shot a buck and had it processed. He told me it cost her $325![] In all fairness that included skinning, some sausage and it was all wrapped.[&:]

Now, I shot a buck on Saturday and skinned and processed it on Sunday. I cost me some time. I already had the knives, sharpener, game hoist, and vacuum packager.[:-] As a matter of fact, I shot and processed a doe that I shot with my bow a month ago.

One tip I'll give you....when skinning, use a single sheet of old news paper to grab and pull the hide. It gives you a better grip. Replace as necessary!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Better tip. Cut tail bone and split hide around back legs and tendons. tie to 4 -wheeler and skin all at once. You may also want to split the hide around the front shoulders first as well. I will post pics later.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:15 AM

I got two articles from the Remington web site that helped me a lot. I did my own a couple a years ago. It took a while and when I found these this year, my home processing job went much smoother.

Ericshup

http://www.remington.com/magazine/pr...2003_1001b.htm

http://www.remington.com/magazine/current/2003_1011.asp
Old 12-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I gut and skin asap. Not only is it easier when warm but it is essential to cool the carcass entirely as soon as possible to prevent any green rot which occurs at the bone(inside out rot). It is essential to remove the trach asap, it is toxic and will effect the meat very quickly! Once I have the animal skinned and hanging I wipe down with some water with a tbsp of vingear, this removes all the hair and excess blood, etc from the carcass.(No it does not effect the taste any). I will also usually wash the inside with some cold water. Hanging is preference, climate & time dependant, I prefer to let it hang in 35-40 degrees for a day or 2 then butcher. I will say I have done many an animal hot and never really noticed a difference in quality of meat the cutting can be more difficult though. I remove the tenderloins when hot and place them in the fridge for 24 hours where they then become propmtly cooked. When I do this I lay the meat out in a fridge or cooler on ice over night before packaging the next day when possible! If you let your animal hang make sure the meat isn't touching itself (spread the legs and split the brisket) this will ensure airflow and even cooling through out. If it is warmer than 40 degrees it is best to wrap the carcass in cheese clothes or game bags, to prevent skin over.

I only debone meat, never use a saw or cut the bone around the pelvis, sholder, neck, etc. Something to consider is you will always have a grinder pile so starting out if you miss a little it isn't wasted. In time you'll be able to remove all the cuts in one solid piece of meat if you so choose. I suggest you look into a boning or stiff fillet knife, it makes this task much easier and quicker.

Take you time and enjoy, it is rewarding, fun, cost saving, part of the hunt & you never have to worry about is it your meat, did you get enough or the wrong cuts agains!!!!![8D]

Quick Reply: ? for hunters that butcher their own deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.