HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   ? for hunters that butcher their own deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46197-hunters-butcher-their-own-deer.html)

badshotbob 12-14-2003 12:09 PM

? for hunters that butcher their own deer

After paying $115 for butchering this year's buck ($25 to cape him out - ouch![:@]), I'm convinced I'm ready to start butchering my own deer. I watched a guy the other day cut one up and it didn't seem that tough. Not $115 tough anyway. I'm sure I'll hack up the first one, but nothing wrong with burger. I would like to fill a doe tag yet this year and plan on learning on this deer - if I get one of course.:D

My question is this: how long do you wait to cut one up? Can butchering take place right after the kill and is it harder to cut up before rig sets in? I know some like to hang their deer to age them without the hide on - does this really make a difference in the taste/tenderness of the meat? Thanks for any input.

Trebark 12-14-2003 12:18 PM

RE: ? for hunters that butcher their own deer

Bob,
Here is basically what I do.
First, skinning will be easier while the deer is still warm, but it's not all that difficult the next day. The meat will be easier to cut once it has firmed up. I skin and quarter the deer, then place the quarters in rubbermaid containers and put hem in the fridge to age. Whitetail can be aged up to 14 days. A younger deer, I'll usually give a few days to, then begin cutting and wrapping. I would recommend getting a book on processing, and a recipe book. Pick out the recipes that you want to try, then you can see what cuts you will need. I cut mine different each time, depending on what cuts I have, or what I need. I hope this has helped you out some.
Charlie

thundermug 12-14-2003 01:09 PM

One thing to remember is aging is a temperature related pocess. two weeks of aging needs to be below 35 degrees, but really as close to freezing without actually freezing it. If the temp is 35-40 degrees you should shorten the time to one week. You can check periodically and when the meat has loosened back to where it was prior to rigor setting up then that is where I start to butcher, as the process will continue until it is frozen after wrapping.

joeturse 12-14-2003 01:26 PM

I usually bone out all I can,after quarting the deer.It take's up a lot less room in the freezer.
Not all that hard with good sharp knive's.

Joe

Tree climber 12-14-2003 01:48 PM

I process all my own.I cut up , debone , and Ice down in a cooler , I drain the water and reice ever day, I do this for 3 or 4 days. then I cut the fry meat I want , then cut and grind the burger; package. then vacume the fry meat and I'm done.:D

stuckinthereeds 12-14-2003 03:21 PM

I usually hang my deer in the garage, give it a day, then skin it and butcher it the next day. It usually take a day, maybe two depending on the size to butcher the whole deer. Don't even ask how long it takes to butcher an elk

St.Barnard 12-14-2003 03:25 PM

New to butchering myself. When you ice it down, do you have to wrap it, or can the ice touch the meat. I think I have heard that you should not let the ice lay directly on the meat. Anyone know for sure?

JPH45 12-14-2003 03:40 PM

I have always cut mine up as soon as I can. I then let it sit for 24 hours or so in the fridge and then package and wrap it for freezing. The one thing I do with the hams is take the meat off by sepeating it along the grain lines. Takes a little time, but it makes up nice small roasts that are perfect for my wife and I. There are also a few glands hidden in the fat between the different muscles. We cut out the backstrap and tenderloin, halve the backbone and seperte the front quarters. We have a Dutch oven that is large and will hold the front quarters, we cook them whole then strip the meat and freeze then cook the front half of the backbone and neck the same. Not a hard job, and as you note, even if you screw it up it all still eats.

dpv 12-14-2003 07:00 PM

I soak the meat in ice, water and a butt load of salt for a few days then I cut it up and wrap it. I've let is soak from 3-7 days. you need to change the water several times of the last day or two to get the saltiness out. It removes a lot of the blood. I don't think it's too hard, just takes some times. Takes me about 3 hours to skin it and get the meat in the cooler and then 4-6 hours to get all the meat wrapped later on.

David

farmcntry 12-15-2003 07:12 AM

I've skinned and butchered 37 deer this year.

Some I do right away, some I let hang for a day or so, but I let them hang with the hide on them unless I wrap the carcass in cheesecloth.
I don't do burger tho. When I'm done you have 2 shoulders, 2 tenderloin, 2 backstrap, 1 neckroast, and either 2 hams or a lot of steaks.

One deer = 1 hour. Skin, quarter, cooler, cut, vaccum pack!