Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What to look for in a Tree Stand? >

What to look for in a Tree Stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to look for in a Tree Stand?

Old 12-11-2003, 07:26 AM

Default RE: What to look for in a Tree Stand?

comfort #1 factor, to me nothing better than an API stand my opinion
Old 12-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

UP - I bought the Rivers Edge Big Foot XL early in the season and have used it a dozen or so times. I love this stand - it's quiet and comfortable. I would recommend getting the Lite Foot XL - this stand has a built in footrest which will help in taking stress off the lower back. For me, a stand is more comfortable on my back than the ground. The trick to staying on stand for me is to stand up enough to stretch and not just sit the entire time. I've had many stands over the years, cheap to outrageously expensive - they all have similar comfort. I can't stress enough though, the foot rest is the key to comfort. At least for me anyway.

Here's a link for the Rivers Edge stands.

[link]http://www.ardisam.com/REpages/HangOnHome.htm[/link]

As a side note:

If you get a hang on rather than a climber, here's a couple of words of advise. If you are hunting on state land, you know that in MI, we can't use screw in tree steps, only strap-ons. If you are on private property and are using screw in steps, a couple of things here - space your steps the length from your foot to your knee, put the last step even with the bottom of the stand so you can just step into the stand, and screw them all the way to the tree (no flex, no break that way). I also recommend getting a climbing harness, or an adjustable rope type safety belt you can use while climbing and installing your stand. They are only about $30 - well worth saving your life. Another thing - don't get in the stand without a safety belt.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trophyhuntr

comfort #1 factor, to me nothing better than an API stand my opinion

No doubt.

API Baby Grand is the most comfortable stand I own. They aren't giving them away, but a nice stand nonetheless. Only thing I can say that I personally don't like about them is the hollow tube aluminum. But, with a nice $5 welcome mat from Kmart, problem sovled.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:14 AM

Comfort, Comfort, Comfort!!! and of course something that's safe.

Besides a nice seat and back rest, I love my gorilla ladder stand which also has a foot rest bar that I fold out once in stand and can rest my feet on. My knees get sore if I'm in a sitted position to long, so it gives me another option to place me feet.

And with regards to a good padded seat, I don't know how everyone else is but my butt gets progessively flatter as the week passes by. I usually hunt from my gorilla stand for 3 or 4 day's and the seat on this stand works for my buns. I bought it at Gander on sale for $120. But it's hard to set up by yourself, but can be done. Comes with nice ratchet straps and is real secure when properly placed.

If you live near a Calelas store, you can alway's purchase a stand use it then return it if you don't like it and try something else. I saw someone return a ladder stand the other day when I was there that looked like it was used for the last 2 1/2 months of bow season here in Michigan. That's where I'll purchase my next hang on stand for this reason.

Good Luck