Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anything interesting from this season? >

Anything interesting from this season?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anything interesting from this season?

Old 12-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anything interesting from this season?

I'd like to hear from people any interesting stories from this season. Did you take a first? Biggest? most in a season? Did you take it with a special weapon you've been wanting to try or make that perfect stalk. Anything you think that set the hunt apart from the others.

For me I took my first deer with my own handloads. And took my biggest buck to date in archery season.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Anything interesting from this season?

I took my first deer with my handloads this weekend! He is a nice seven point with a 20 1/2" spread. Probably the most mature deer I have ever taken. I was using my .308 with 180 gr sierra gameking bullet. Shot him right through the heart at about 65 yards. He took about three steps and went down. I am very proud of the deer and the performance of the bullets I reloaded.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:24 PM

i have one of those you never know stories . i parked , got out of my truck , dressed , strapped my stand to my back , loaded my gun . started walking up an old abandoned driveway , about 200 yards up there was a beautiful 6 pointer standing there looking at me . i raised my ruger 96/44 and hit him in the chest with a 240 grain hornady xtp that i hand loaded he never knew what hit him. dropped on the spot . the whole amount of time i was out of my truck after gutting draging and loading was between 10 and 15 minutes .go figure!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:41 PM

Mtair now that is maximizing your hunting time! Family thought you were pretty cool went hunting back in an hour!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I have a shotgun that I had never even shot at a deer with and this year I decided to take it out and killed a 7 pointer with it. So now the only gun I own that is still a cherry is my black powder gun.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I almost got in a sparring match with a monster buck when I was stalking him. He thought I was another buck and wanted a piece of me.
I also shot 13 coyotes from my stand(s) this season. Unusual high number.