Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad day of hunting

Old 12-07-2003, 07:16 PM

Default Bad day of hunting

Well, 2nd day i got to hunt this years PA rifle season was saturday. I can sum it all up in ONE word. SUCKED. The weather was great, the deer didnt move though. Had the wind just right but nothing happened. Was in the stand for about 6 hours before we heard a close shot. I saw them running through a field about 500 yards away from me. About an hour passed by & a deer ran right up the hill by me. I saw him when he was half way up. I picked up and shot thinking it was a doe. MISSED! I was angry. I replayed the deer running in my head & i think he was a small spike. So i was glad i didnt hit him.But saw nothing the rest of day. Another funny/scary story is.... I was sitting with my uncle and there were 6 guys putting on a drive. we had guys set up all over. Well they finished the drive and no one shot. As everyone was walking through a big field someone shot. It was a guy about 20 yards from me. I turned around FAST. He was checkin his gun! He then said "I didnt know my finger was on the trigger" We allm shook our heads and left.

Tim

P.S. 5 point picture should be posted soon!
Old 12-07-2003, 07:22 PM

Default RE: Bad day of hunting

Guess who won't be invited to drive next year? That is scary, it only takes a split second to buy a lifetime of remorse....
Old 12-07-2003, 07:26 PM

I hear ya there! My grandpa was hunting with a guy. They were upland hunting. My grandpa was on a hill & the guy was down below. A twig got caught in the trigger area & went off aimed at my grandpa. BB's went through his hat & knocked it off. The guy unloaded his gun & left the woods. Said he was never hunting again. Even thought my grandpa said it was an accident.

Tim
Old 12-07-2003, 08:30 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Lets take a look at what you said. "Bad day of hunting",
I don't think I have ever had a bad day of hunting. I may not see or get anything, thats why its called "hunting and not Getting".
Sure I would like to take a nice buck, in fact I would Love to take a GREAT BUCK, but I always take somthing back home with me and thats the memory of the hunt.
I consider myself very lucky to have a place to hunt and you should too. Many don't or can't. If the price keeps going up I may find myself in the last group. Till then I get the pleasure of getting out and away from the grind of life.
Next time you go out look around and think about the great time you are having out there. Doesent matter if you see nothing or 100's of deer, YOUR HUNTING and thats all that matters.
Good luck and Good hunting,
Rick
Old 12-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

hunting in PA is TOUGH this year.....i know...i hunted EVERY day the seasons been open now...tomarow id be out there but me and dad only have one chance this week to goto the butcher so i HAVE to go...then i work tue wed then im off the rest of the season....i kinda like the tough hunting....i got 2 big does so far....you dont know how much they mean to me....i know how hard they were to find..and what it took to bag them...and they have more meat on them then a normal buck in PA....i can almost bet you get me a normal 1.5 year old basket rack and hang it beside the doe in my garage my doe will outweigh it....tough 6 days of hunting...but its hunting...i live for it and love every second of it....the snow this weeks been just beautiful...seen lots of other game...turkeys squirrels ect....even made a friend...a little red squirrel...opening day he looked cold and hungry..and my peanut butter and jelly sandwhich was froze so i threw him half...he came right beside me and ate lunch with me..then entertained me as he ran around for a while....second and 3rd day he played right in my logpile i sit in.....next time i go im going to try to remember a sandwhich for my buddy....simple little things but thats what i enjoy about hunting....killing isnt all there is to hunting for me.....just spending time with dad means alot with me...i see so many kids without dads or their dads dont spend time with them or they never met him ect ect....i feel so bad for them....im the luckiest kid alive...i LIVE with both my parents and my dad raised me with a gun and fishing pole....and ive been doing both since i could walk....right beside him chasing coon dogs when i was 6....beside him turkey hunting the first time i could take a gun hunting when i was 12...now im 16....and im still right beside him hunting...well we split up now to cover more ground and such but we are still together....if i didnt bag another deer again i wouldnt care aslong as me and dad could go out and spend time in the woods together.....its great.......and i dont see how you had a bad day....you seen deer and got a shot off....you missed...it happens to everyone.....learn from it....maybe try changing your tactics this year...stand hunting doesnt seem to be producing much though the weahters changing and it might....but try still hunting..tracking (snow is good) or drives....even if its little 2 or 3 man mini drives.....it will get the deer up and moving and if you plan them out good you can have a good shot at a deer...or a giant drive....get alot of deer moving...i was in a drive saturday...deer going everywhere.....good luck..stick with it....its called hunting not shopping!!!! if you dont like it go shopping!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:58 PM

Very well put, Mauser. I couldn't have said it better. I just can't imagine anyone saying the words "bad day" and "hunting" in the same sentence. There is NO SUCH THING as a bad day hunting, and if you think that you are having bad days hunting, then maybe it's time to find another hobby. I've always told myself that if the time ever comes that I stop getting excited about hunting like a kid a Christmas, then it will be time for me to stop. Just my .02 though.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I have had a bad day hunting, it was when a bullet wizzed by my head and broke a branch just above. I never heard the shot just the crack and those who are in the forces now this is the sound of a very close encounter with a bullet. I can tell you when I actually surfaced from the snow could hear & walk, I left and in fact I stopped hunting the entire year. People being unsafe and stupid can make for a bad day of hunting[:'(]. I am just glad for me and the poster it wasn't the worst day of our life(being the last).

As to not seeing or harvesting game, I agree any day in nature is a great day.