HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bad day of hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2003, 09:47 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bad day of hunting

hunting in PA is TOUGH this year.....i know...i hunted EVERY day the seasons been open now...tomarow id be out there but me and dad only have one chance this week to goto the butcher so i HAVE to go...then i work tue wed then im off the rest of the season....i kinda like the tough hunting....i got 2 big does so far....you dont know how much they mean to me....i know how hard they were to find..and what it took to bag them...and they have more meat on them then a normal buck in PA....i can almost bet you get me a normal 1.5 year old basket rack and hang it beside the doe in my garage my doe will outweigh it....tough 6 days of hunting...but its hunting...i live for it and love every second of it....the snow this weeks been just beautiful...seen lots of other game...turkeys squirrels ect....even made a friend...a little red squirrel...opening day he looked cold and hungry..and my peanut butter and jelly sandwhich was froze so i threw him half...he came right beside me and ate lunch with me..then entertained me as he ran around for a while....second and 3rd day he played right in my logpile i sit in.....next time i go im going to try to remember a sandwhich for my buddy....simple little things but thats what i enjoy about hunting....killing isnt all there is to hunting for me.....just spending time with dad means alot with me...i see so many kids without dads or their dads dont spend time with them or they never met him ect ect....i feel so bad for them....im the luckiest kid alive...i LIVE with both my parents and my dad raised me with a gun and fishing pole....and ive been doing both since i could walk....right beside him chasing coon dogs when i was 6....beside him turkey hunting the first time i could take a gun hunting when i was 12...now im 16....and im still right beside him hunting...well we split up now to cover more ground and such but we are still together....if i didnt bag another deer again i wouldnt care aslong as me and dad could go out and spend time in the woods together.....its great.......and i dont see how you had a bad day....you seen deer and got a shot off....you missed...it happens to everyone.....learn from it....maybe try changing your tactics this year...stand hunting doesnt seem to be producing much though the weahters changing and it might....but try still hunting..tracking (snow is good) or drives....even if its little 2 or 3 man mini drives.....it will get the deer up and moving and if you plan them out good you can have a good shot at a deer...or a giant drive....get alot of deer moving...i was in a drive saturday...deer going everywhere.....good luck..stick with it....its called hunting not shopping!!!! if you dont like it go shopping!