Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

splittin up the bounty

Old 12-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: splittin up the bounty

I have had the same hunting partner for over 25 years. If he does not get a deer I make sure he gets a bountiful share of mine. Fortunately, the favor has never had to be returned .
Old 12-10-2003, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

zekeskar,

No I am not joking There has actually been, on several occasions, where there have been individuals that have showed up in an incapacitated state (from the night before). The only reason they showed up was to get some deer meat. They had no intention of firing a weapon. Actually on one drive, I came up on one of them and he was sound asleep.

What do you mean by "party hunt"? To me that means that if you have 6 guys hunting 1 guy can kill six deer and the other 5 tag the other deer and you all go about the rest of your day. Is this your meaning of Party hunting
Old 12-10-2003, 05:39 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

I have helped others butcher their deer. I was given a little meat and was pleased with that.

When I sarted hunting again last year I went with a buddy who hasn't been able to get out this year. His dad came along a couple times. When I killed my first deer last year, they helped me butcher it ( I soaked it in salt water for a week before wrapping any meat) that night. I sent a hind quarter to my buddies son's birthday party so they could enjoy it. I offered meat the night we cut it up but they said it was my first deer so I should keep it. This year since my buddy couldn't hunt, I sent some meat his way. I also gave some to my children's baby sitter and a co worker who asked for it. With the sitter I was happy to give because of all she has done for our kids. With the co-worker I hav e been working on him to go hunting also. He has duck hunted but never deer. I figure I will be doing a good thing by turning him on to hunting and hopefully he will pass it on to his kids. Ours is a dieing traditions. People are just too lazy these days to spend a day fighting the cold waiting on a deer. I love hunting. The best part of hunting with my buddy was always the long drive to and from the hunt. I've hooked up with another hunter from this board and probably will again. There isn't as much interaction in these cases because you usually meet up near the hunting spot. IF I ever do kill a deer at the hunting spot when I am hunting with others I will definately share the kill. Just seems like good sense.

David
Old 12-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

02bhntn, "Party Hunting" is what you described. However here it is illegal to actually party hunt, when you tag an animal your done hunting regardless of how the meat is being divided/tags in the group.

I see no right or wrong way as long as it is agreed upon by the group at the onset. If your hunting to divide the meat than your all hunting to reach a goal & should be putting forth the same effort. I do see a problem with someone showing up and doing nothing to better the GROUPS situation/chances, in this case I would be saying "NOWAY". If a guy can't control himself for a night or week to be functional and useful he does not need to come at all! Really what benefit are the others receiving by this or these individuals, to me he/they are selfish and of no use. Plus handling a firearm while under the influence or being not able to function is unsafe and I will not put myself or others I hunt with in that enviroment...enough loser I can't control in the woods to have a half wit in my own group to worry about[:@]!
Old 12-10-2003, 01:18 PM

I hunt with a group of family and close friends. We have no set "rules". Sometimes we share, sometimes we dont. One guy is the only person in his family that eats deer so usually if he gets one he will offer it to someone that didnt get one in return for a couple pounds of the meat.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never split anything up but I don't or wouldn't have a problem with it. I would have more of a problem with what your buddy is doing to your sweet spot. IMO, should have never invited him even if it is plubic land, let him find it himself if you have always hunted alone. Or at least said no to all the other wanta tag alongs. BTW, I don't think I live too far from you, will you take me with you sometime ?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:03 PM

Sounds like some pushy folks. Use common sense.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:46 PM

Ah, now I understand. Where I was coming from is that although I love hunting, to me it's a lot of work, expense and when the weather's bad, just nasty uncomfortable. So I just couldn't see doing it to get the meat w/o actually wanting to be the guy to make the shot. I have a lot of other hobbies I love also, and if I wasn't actually interested in getting a deer, I'd probably spend more time at them. I understand what you're saying - I suppose you don't go out of your way to hunt with those guys again? ... although many of us have made that mistake. It happened to me once about 25 years ago, but I left my gun in the case and slept by the car... and learned a lesson.

Party hunting, just means sharing costs, effort and meat. Unless it's allowed in the regs, it doesn't mean party tagging.

On the other hand, "party hunting" has a specific definition in the regs in Minnesota where I hunt for white tail. It means that if a group of people are hunting together, in the same vicinity, they can chose to use whoever's tag they want for any specific deer. This is legal and we use it to manage the antlerless vs. buck tags for instance and also use the tags of the guys who are leaving first to leave tags for future days. I've hunted in other places where this is strictly illegal, so that was kind of a change of attitude for me. But it works. -zeke
Old 12-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess there are a lot of different scenarios out there. A lot depends on the kind of people and beliefs of the group. I am lucky to have a group of guys that are so dedicated to the sport in every facet. We all think alike, have the same ethics, dedicated to the extreme(probably a lil more than we should be in the eyes of the spouses). So I guess when you get a little group of hardcore hunters that are going to put every effort they have in their body to the cause, it makes it easier dividing the take and expenses. Don't get me wrong, it's not all out 100% serious like a job. We have loads of fun. Either way you cut it, just be sure you're enjoying your hunts. If it comes to where you're not enjoying it because of outside sources, it's time to change something. The time in the woods is too precious.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:22 AM

I used to hunt with some guys and who ever tags the deer gets half of it . this worked great until we had one guy that would go into the woods for just a hour and than come out and sit in his truck . I caught him once when I shot a deer and came out to get my rope that I forgot , I asked him what was wrong and he say OH I`M JUST WAITING FOR YOU TO SHOOT ONE.... Well I got thinking back and this guy has never shot one before , but he sure has eaten alot of my meat.. So now I hunt alone , i like it better that way anyway...