HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   splittin up the bounty (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45539-splittin-up-bounty.html)

jerseyhunter 12-07-2003 02:22 PM

splittin up the bounty

Hey guys just have a question. I always hunt alone. But last year I took a guy that I met while shopping, hunting one day. Now all through the year while grocery shopping we talk. This year he wants to hunt with me since where he hunts on private land, he gets no action or nothing consistant anyway. So we made plans to hunt where I go. Its public land, so I say why not. 1 week ago he calls and the guy he usually hunts with wants to tag along , and wants me to set him up in a stand, so I said ok since he is an elder guy. (whom I've never met) So were going tommorrow and he calls me an hour ago and wants to know if he can bring another guy who knows the area and has been there before but just needs a ride. Now for the question, I asked him weeks ago how he and his buddy split up the deer , he said they each keep what they shoot.I don't care. But isn't the reason to hunt with so called partners, is so that if some one scores they all score. I never mind giving or sharing. How should I bring this matter up so there are no surprises. I'll just ask point blank . But how do you sportsmen and women share or hoard the days bounty. Maybe I shouldn't have been such a nice guy. And just stuck with being a loner, I enjoy it. The only partner I need is my wife.

NY Bowhunter 12-07-2003 03:09 PM

RE: splittin up the bounty

We set forth right from day #1 that everything is split equally. That goes for cost of food, butchering, propane for heat, electric bill for the lodge, beverages, etc........... We have a small group of 6 in our club and everything is split equally. You need to set the ground rules ahead of time.
The flipside of that is that all the take is split as well. Meat is divided equally and costs of butchering as well.
We never allow tag alongs or friends to hunt the land other than us. There are too many grey areas when you do this. We have a good situation and everyone knows the deal going in and we're all on the same page. So, we just pitch in $$$ to the kitty at the begining and have a heck of a good time.
Just have a little meeting of the minds so everybody is on the same page. Personally I think if it's a "partnership" kind of hunt, it should be split.

Big Guy01 12-07-2003 04:24 PM

We split all costs and all rewards. The only exception is personal libations . Although these are normaly shared around too.:)

stubblejumper 12-07-2003 06:02 PM

Myself and my partners split the meat equally.I hunt with only a few select people and there are no tag alongs.

Gary10ec1 12-07-2003 07:35 PM

Seems like this dude keeps changing the situation as he goes along. Wouldn't hunt with a group I didn't know, and I think you guys outta share the rewards if you are into hunting with strangers. Think on this one before you go. Heck from the sound of things he'll have two more buddies lined up before you even hit the woods.

bearklr 12-08-2003 07:11 AM

If we all go out in a group and pot hunt then whoever kills the deer gets to keep it. We are friends not business partners. We are there to share the time as a group of friends. We enjoy spending time with each other and celebrating as friends when the hunt is over. The only time we split the meat is if we are driving that day. In this case everyone put effort into harvesting the deer so everyone gets some of the meat.

Crawdaddy 12-08-2003 07:16 AM

Like everyone else mentioned we split everything evenly among each other and this is known and understood and for new guys coming in its told up front. I'd be a little leary going out with a guy that keeps wanting to bring everyone else along, if his one buddy knows the area let him take him then. I think the flu might be coming on. Plus not everyone knows where to hunt on public land and do you really want 4 or more guys knowing where your area is?

Crawdaddy

02bhntn 12-08-2003 07:27 AM

We don't split anything up. If you kill it you grill it. If you were fortunate to harvest an animal and someone else didn't, well that's life. That is why they call it hunting. If that is the case then you could just show up and go sit in the woods in a spot where you know that you aren't going to see anything and still bring some meat home. Not here my friend.

click 12-08-2003 07:44 AM

we don't really split stuff up either.

never have been big on splitting up one deer among 5 or 6 people [8D]

Tomster 12-08-2003 07:44 AM

I sometimes hunt with 3 other guys. If I get a deer and they do not, the deer is mine. I usually split the deer anyway with the guy who butchers them for me. If they get a deer and I don't, the same thing goes. This is not a deer camp, just a few guys getting together and hunting in the same area.

T