Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How will I ever get this buck?? >

How will I ever get this buck??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How will I ever get this buck??

Old 12-06-2003, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How will I ever get this buck??

looking a bit like a noreaster this morning. I'm heading to the Syracuse vs. Notre Dame football game at the dome today so Mr. bucky has a day without me after him. Tommorow should be good though. I'm actually thinking this snow is going to knock down a lot of that swail. I may be able to get deeper into it and find a good ambush spot. Or he may not want to be in there if it gets too open. We'll have to hook up one of these days Charlie!!
Old 12-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most definately! It could be fun.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:54 AM

sounds like you got a prob. but with everyone else's advice, i unfortunatly can not add anything other then good luk!!
Old 12-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I pushed him right right in front of your stand this morning where were you? Still celebrating the beating Syracuse gave ND?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was treating a hangover and still crying over the thumping my Fighting Irish took. [:'(]
Old 12-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Glad your not an SU fan. I've alway's liked ND myself.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:03 PM

you might try a decoy. give him a visual. i'd say a doe might still be effective. i dont know your rut. maybe a buck decoy with some rattking? try sitting longer. he might not lay there all day. you might catch him loafing around for a midday snack. good luck
Old 12-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 12-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I assume you never went back?[]
Old 12-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

oh yeah I went back. I woke up this morningat 2:45 for some reason. Couldn't go back to sleep so At 3:15 I decided I was going to get my stuff and head out to the swail. I figured I could get down in there where I've been seeing him before he gets back in the swail. I head out the door after haveing a discussion about it with my wife who incidentally is having me committed to an insane asylum tommorow. She couldn't figure out what I was doing at 3:00am going hunting. Anyway, I'm out there at around 4:00am. One thing I didn't take into account were the coyotes. Wow that was a bit disturbing, but I managed. It gets to around 5:00am and I see 6 does about 50 yards from me. It was pretty cool with the bright moon. Half hour later I saw 3 does about 75 yards away. First light finally comes and it feels like I've been out there for about 4 days. About 20 minutes after first light, I see the dude. Guess where? yep, standing there plain as day about 1 yard from that ridge that I've been sitting on. Unbelievable. He got me pretty good! So I put my head down about ready to cry and after having a little pity party I decided I had to try and stalk him. So I start sneaking up towards him and picked a landmark like someone said to do. I could see him for the first 40 - 50 yards of the stalk and he never knew I was coming. Then I get to the tall stuff that i figure I have to go through about 75 yards of. After I get through that I should be close enough for a shot. So I'm in the tall stuff using my landmark (big oak tree in the hedge). I get to where the swail is knocked down by the snow a little so I figure I can slowly stand and get a good shot. Just pop out of the tall stuff and figured out why they call them whitetails. Cause that's what I saw in my face running away from me. I must have spooked him in the last 10 seconds before I was about ready to spot him and get a shot. He's one clever animal or I am one dumb hunter. 1.5 days left and I don't reckon he'll be back any time soon. Oh well back to the honey hole across the road for the duration.
jdsgl;ajsdg;lkajsg;lksajh;ljh;ksajg;ljdsg;ljksag;i aureoug;gj;kljgljgjag;ljgl;jggjal;gjal;gjas;lgjas; glkjasg;ljasgl;jasg;ljasgjl!!!