Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 The Adventures of BUCK MAGNET..... WHAT A HUNT!!!!!!! >

The Adventures of BUCK MAGNET..... WHAT A HUNT!!!!!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Adventures of BUCK MAGNET..... WHAT A HUNT!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2003, 03:12 PM

Default The Adventures of BUCK MAGNET..... WHAT A HUNT!!!!!!!

Well,

Yesterday was the opener of rifle season here in Pennsylvania and for the first time ever, I didn't hunt my property. I went out with my best friend Matt, his cousin John, and Matt's moms friend Steve. Well, we got to the farm plenty early and we all got settled in.

At 6:31 the first gunshot sounded off. At that time, it was still dark outside and I really don't see how somebody could see a deer to shoot it. Well, I sat in stand, in winds that were gusting over 35 mph and I wasn't seeing anything. There weren't nearly as many gunshots as normal. Well, at about 8:15a.m. I took my gloves off and set them on my lap so I could get a candy bar out of my pocket. Well, the wind gusted and off flies one of my gloves, right to the ground. Well, I took a look around and decided I was gonna hurry up and get it. Well, I got half way down the stand and I heard a noise behind me, sure enough deer were comming. So, there I am, about 6 feet off the ground, and three doe were standing 30 yards behind me looking at me. I was wearing my ASAT with a orange vest and hat and these deer didn't see me. They proceeded to walk around feeding for about 10 minutes before they left. By that time my arms were hurting and I was ready to get down and get my glove. Well, I got it and got back up in stand. Well, about 15 minutes later I hear more deer comming behind me. I turn around and see three more deer. A big doe with two button bucks. Well, they walked past my stand at about 7 yards and never noticed me. So, I sat there for about another hour and a half and I decided to get down and walk around. I went to meet my best friend and we decided to go see the other two guys. Well, his cousin John had seen two bucks and 5 doe and hhis moms friend saw 3 does. The two bucks that John saw weren't legal, well, one was a five point and the other was a half rack but he didn't see a 4th point on it.

Well, we all decided to do some light drives to see if we could stir up the movement. With winds in excess of 30 mph, the deer didn't move unless someone bumped them up. Well, we drove two patches of woods and we put out one doe past Steve and three doe past John. Well, by this time we were ready for lunch, so, we went and ate and then went back to do two more small drives before sitting for the rest of the evening.

Well, the first drive started and I was sitting in the same stand as in the morning. I saw a line of deer at the far edge of the woodline that came out but, they all ducked there heads down into golden rods and I could just see there backs in the golden rods. I didn't get an exact count but there were atleast 10 deer maybe 12 in the line. Well, a few minutes later, the 6 deer I had seen in the morning came back up past me at 40 yards past me, they went into the field and stopped to feed for awhile. About 15 minutes after that, two more deer (unidentified) snuck towards me in some thick brush then circled around the two drivers and some shots sounded off. It wasn't the guys with us. Well, the two drivers saw another 5 doe and a small 6 point head across the field and into the woods.

Well, knowing that ever single deer we saw today we either drove into those woods or had walked into there, we decided to drive that patch of woods before we went and sat. Matt and I walked in the woods to start driving and a few minutes later, gunshots sounded off like a war behind us. We think that all the deer were a little further back in the woods than where we started and they ran onto another farm and met up with a bunch of hunters. Well, we didn't get anything past the two posters so we went and sat.

A few minutes later we heard a 4wheeler comming and it was Johns dad, he told us that he got a big 8 point and was just checking in. Well, we sat till dusk and then went over to see the buck. When we got there we found out that 4 deer had been killed, 3 buck and a doe, all were from the push we did after lunch. The deer snuck out and crossed a road onto Johns dads bestfriends property. Johns dad got a huge 8 point that was 17-3/4" wide inside, had big brow tines and great tine length all around with great mass. The guy who owned the property got a HUGE HUGE HUGE doe (it was about the same size if not bigger than the big 8 point). His nephews both got bucks. One was a first year hunter and he got his first deer, a small 5 point. His older brother got a BIG 7 point that we had been watching this summer and fall.

Well, this morning Matt and I hunted out at our area with my grandfather, his friend Sam, and our neighbor. Matt and I were set-up on a dirt mount overlooking a woodline. Nothing was moving and at 8:00a.m., my grandfathers friend started driving the woods. 4 doe came walking out of the woods about 40 yards from Matt and I. They walked through my neighbors back yard, through my front yard and into my woods. Well, Sam got most of the way through the woods on his drive, and I went in the woods to walk down to my grandfather. All of a sudden I hear a shot, then another, then another, and another. I walk down and my grandfather was stunned. He saw a doe at about 60 yards that was standing broadside and he shot. It just stood there, so, he shot again, then it started walking off and he shot again, then it finally ran and he shot again. Well, we got to where he shot and couldn't find blood. We kept looking and finally found a big puddle of blood, and a good trail. Well, we followed the blood and found the deer laying in a field. His first shot hit a little far back, right at where the stomach meets the liver. The second shot hit right through the shoulders breaking both shoulders, and he missed with his 3rd and 4th shot. It was amazing that the doe made it that far with a bullet hole right between the stomach and liver, and a bullet hole through both shoulders. Well, he tagged it and I drug it about 200 yards to the truck, talk about a haul. This was one BIG BIG doe. Well, we got it packed in the truck and headed back to the house. We waited about half an hour and decided to drive my woods to my paps friend Sam as he still had a doe tag. Well, we started driving and heard a shot. Well, I was posting and I saw a deer comming towards me in the brush and I couldn't tell what it was, but, it circled back around my grandfather. Well, we finished that and decided to push a small patch of woods (30 yards wide by 40 yards long) that was in the middle of a field and sure enough, a doe jumped up and hopped a few times then stopped and looked at me before trotting into a golden rod field and bedding down. Well, we walked up to where Sam was as he was the one who shot. Well, three doe came out, through my back yard, then back into the woods and walked past Sam at about 30 yards. He picked out his doe and shot, he blew a .270 bullet right behind her shoulders and she dropped.

Well, Matt and I did two more of our "mini-drives" where we have one poster and one driver and didn't see anything so, we headed out for the day. We let the woods go the rest of the afternoon as I will be out tommorow morning.

Just wanted to let you guys know how my season has been goin!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Adventures of BUCK MAGNET..... WHAT A HUNT!!!!!!!

sounds like a pretty good hunt buck! good luck filling your tags...ill be posting my story soon...congrats to you guys...you did pretty dang good!
Old 12-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Adventures of BUCK MAGNET..... WHAT A HUNT!!!!!!!

congrats!!! gun opener is monday here, so i will be posting my success story and pictures tuesday probably!!(wishful thinking) im glad to see that people are shooting deer pretty regularly this year. cant wait to pull the trigger. shot my buck last year on opening day (first time ever doing that) i cant wait!!!