Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Probably a dumb question but.. >

Probably a dumb question but..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Probably a dumb question but..

Old 11-30-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Probably a dumb question but..

I was thinking of using an old tent i used to have as a kid, it would be perfect as a blind and i would like to try it to see if i can get a better shot, as i have been hunting from a treestand. The only thing is its bright red... Should i paint it camo? But I always thought deer were colorblind? So it shouldnt matter right? Also should i put it out a few weeks before season so they adjust to it?
Old 11-30-2003, 09:00 PM

Default RE: Probably a dumb question but..

I personally dont think this is a good idea. You can purchace a ground blind at wal-mart for relatively cheap. I think the Ameristep outhouse blind is like $60 something. As for the color part, deer may not be able to see color but can see outlines. Deer are not used to seeing solid colors. What in the wild is just one color? You see what im saying?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:47 AM

My dad harvested a nice doe a few years back sitting under a blue tarp in a folding chair. The doe was standing only 30 yrds from him. Putting it out a few weeks before season would be the way to go.

BTW, when ever the wind would blow my dad said it sounded like someone wadding up a potato chip bag. You be the judge.

Good Hunting
Old 12-01-2003, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Buffdaddy ,
they' re right about the tent , a solid object that size would be noticed even if you painted camo patterns on it . I have the Ameristep Outhouse and love it . You can get one from: sportsmansguide.com for $49 , or the Doghouse version for $69 .
Old 12-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

True about the outlines and a cheap pop up blind really would be the way to go but, if you put out something and give the deer time to get used to it (all year), you could shoot out of anything IMO.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Make yourself a nice little ground blind out of natural cover. In the middle of a hedgerow or alond some brush on the edge of a field or something. A little pair of shears and a folding chair can work miracles.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:55 AM

BSB well said how many times have people seen deer come right up to there back door. Once they see no threat in the object it won' t bother them. If you want to break up the outline it probably would help to paint it, another thing I would do is make sure you set it up long enough to get any smells out of it.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with badshotbob, if you put it out for a while, you could shoot deer out of just about anything! I' ve seen box blinds painted in the stupidest colors you could imagine that still produce good deer. I' ve seen blinds made of old truck cabs, porta-potties and you name it! And they work! Just put it out a few weeks before hunting so that the deer will get used to it being there.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:36 PM

Well the tent i am talking about really isnt that big, its meant for like 10 and under. Only fits two small children comfortably but it has a side that has a little window thing that would be perfect to peek and shoot out of.