Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Granddady

Old 11-29-2003, 03:20 AM

Default Granddady

Always use to shoot deer right in the neck, he said that there was a main artery there and it is the best place to shoot one. I was young and don' t remember much about him but could you guys tell me why he did this? I figured the best place to shoot a dder would be in the heart for instant death Right? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:02 AM

Default RE: Granddady

a lot of people take neck shots.it is a fatal shot and drops the animal in the track.it is also a chancy shot.
The best is right behind the sholder in the crease.you get a double lung and maybe heart.a much better % shot.
if you are close and am confedient in your shooting,then OK.I have taken several of them at close range.I do not recomend them my slef.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not all neck shots are fatal and many are not instant either. There' s too much room for error in missing the arteries or the spinal column. Some of these deer will live long enough that you' ll never find them, but they' ll suffer and eventually die a horrible death. Go for the best target--the heart/lung shot.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Another thinking behind the neck shot is that the impact of the bullet will snap the spine thus killing the deer. Only, not all calibers have that impact and not all neck shots will kill a deer. It may only paralize the deer which is cruel to say the least.

Stick with a good kill zone shot, in the crease and behind the fron legs.

Matt
Old 11-30-2003, 08:52 AM

My dad used to shoot them in the neck also, he used a 12g with a slug-and like stated above wasnt always perfect, I' d have to agree go with the heart/lung shot.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:23 PM

Yeah, I agree with the others, shoot him behind the shoulder.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:49 AM

It would make sense on a close shot to me to shoot a doe or a small buck in the neck although i have never done it and will continue to aim behind the shoulder but on a nice buck wouldn' t it mess up the neck and make it hard to mount? that seems like the first reason not to shoot one in the neck to me. I bet taxidermists hate neck shots.