Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2003 Buck pic

Old 11-28-2003, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2003 Buck pic

Who would' ve thought there were any big bucks in Saskatoon?[&:]

What a great buck. Congrats on a fantastic deer.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice buck, man that is some OPEN country, what do you do for cover?
Old 11-28-2003, 08:05 AM
jjt

good lookin buck ya got there

i might add nice to see ya back at huntin net aint seen ya in a while
Old 11-28-2003, 08:56 AM

that buck is huge...very nice
Old 11-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually right around Sakatoon has awesome deer, but access is next to impossible being the acreage property boom in the past 5 years. A buddy has video of 2 bucks that will easily make book these bucks mill in broad daylight on the posted tree hunger land only after dark do they cross the fence and road to the side he owns to chomp on his hay[].

Taz. while half the province is actually forest, the bottom 3rd is farmland. In the south like the pic deer will hunker down on that fence row you see in the pic and you' ll not know they are their. Hunting in these parts consists of fence/tree rows, slough bottoms, ravines, willow bluffs and some small/med sized popular/willow stands. For most guys they choose to sit in funnels, spot n' stalk or push the areas(deer drives). We do have pasture (Public) land that offer large wooded tracks like you be accustom too. A tree stand is next to impossible in these open areas, a lot of guys hunt on the ground in natural cover or have box blinds/tripods if ambushing. However others ride the cushions(road hunt) since the agriculture has roads running E<W<N<S allowing access, they try and catch these bad boys cruising, which accounts for long, fast shots and many a dead hawg so cover isn' t an issue but a fast trigger finger and truck can be[]. I think most hunters in the south grew up hunting the fields by driving the first hour and then assembling a group to push deer, I know I did. As I grew older my standards & hunting partners changed I adapted to the terrain and situation. If I hunt these open areas now I usually get set up on a draw for the am/pm and then slowly walk through these areas with the wind on my nose during the day, however I much prefer hunting the forest fringe areas which offer larger tracks of bush and still have food sources like hay & cereal crops. The payoff to hunting the farmland is deer like saskbucks took have the choice foods in turn eating better than the cattle due which lead to great racks and body size. The down side is lack of cover and some days of seeing nothing but sky
Old 11-28-2003, 02:22 PM

Great reply Skeeter....I am with you in terms of your style....I don' t like the truck hunters especially the ones who drive in the fields around bluffs....I am heading to see Jim Shockey' s presentation at the Saskatoon Inn on Sat. night.....LDB and I are aquaintances of his and are going to bring our racks with us....are you going or even thought of it....if so, introduce yourself...I haven' t seen a pic of you to know who you are.....take care
Old 11-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

SB, nope we are headed out to the lake for the day tomorrow - Zone 54 in hopes of hooking up on a post rut bruiser. I may go next week though, a couple guys from our moose camp went and they said it was great. I actually think I saw your deer from last year or the year before in his video, I know it was in big buck but thought I saw on one of Jim' s shows as well. Any ways nice deer and enjoy.

Here is my picture with my second either tag from last week up north of Norquay in zone 56 while hunting moose(hope it is clear), rattled him out to a swap, I just can' t pass on mass and them brows drew my scope..

Anyways have a good time & ask Jim if he has seen the 5x6 out near Yellowhead meats yet, I know Brad the owner and Jim has been trying to hunt this deer for 2 years now..bad wind (needs a E).

Old 11-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Picture of Brad and me(his deer and my elk from 2003) zone 56.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:08 PM

I do love the brows on that deer and the mass....especially when they get all the junk rubbed off the poplars and willows and what not....nice elk too...I have always wanted to go for elk, but time only allows me for whitetails....I didn't ask Jim about the 5 x 6 but I'll email him about it....I heard there was a young archer that downed a huge 205 typical up by Debden/Big River...hear anything about it?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:13 PM

Way to go! You might just need a bigger freezer with that bruiser!

Quick Reply: 2003 Buck pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.