Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer P, could it be too much?

Old 11-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default Deer P, could it be too much?

It my be too much of a good thing.

I put out some doe-in-estrus and some regular doe pee on my way to the stand. I was going to be with the wind at my back so I used a lot, on the way to and around the stand. Hoping it would distract from my own scent while in the stand.

In comes a seven pointer from the north up the hill, crossing into the wind pattern which was blowing from the east and soon to be right at him. Sure enough he gets a whif of me or the pee, neither of which he likes. At 120 yards I couldn' t get a good shot at him when he stopped and looked straight at me. In my line of sight was a tree branch and all I could see was two ears and legs. A few seconds later, back down he goes snorting all the way.

Was it just my stench or the heavy combination of doe pee that blew it for me?

Comments?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer P, could it be too much?

More than likely he got wind of you, always use the wind to your advantage, I do not care if you have a brand new carbon suit and washed everything in " stink away" and put every attractant and cover scent known to man out, if a deer gets down wind of you, you will be busted! I am sure some of the carbon suit folks will swear up and down that they had deer downwind of them and didn' t get busted because of their suit, wrong, they didn' t get busted because winds and thermals do funny things, period.

To much of a good thing can be bad also, to much doe pee or the like will spook a deer also, think about how strong a public restroom can smell, you find it offensive because of the smell, a deer will also.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with TAZ, you were busted. I also agree that too much of a good thing is not necessarily good. In your case, too much probably translated into not natural.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also agree.... The wind can really do funny tricks. I learned the hard way, to ALWAYS play the wind. No matter where I' m going to my tree stand, or special fallen tree/ground blind, I make sure I' m upwind. If it takes me 1/2 hour longer of a hike, I' ll do it, just to ensure I' m upwind.

I have been busted so many times, I haven' t even seen the big bucks! [:' (] They are probably always laughing, " {sniff} Uh huh, here comes that dumb-a$$ ButchA character again!!!!" [&:]

Butch