Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WATERLOGGED RIFLE

Old 11-24-2003, 10:17 AM

Default WATERLOGGED RIFLE

I have a question for some of the hard core hunters on here.I dont particularly care to hunt during rain,even though its a great time to be in a stand.After hauling my climber into the woods and setting up near an oak flat yesterday, it began to lightly rain.10 minutes later,as a cold front pushed its way through, the temperature dropped and i swayed back and forth on my climber as limbs fell all around me and the bottom fell out.I was freezing and could only hold out for 2 hours afterwards.My question is this,i must have dumped 2 gallons of water from my rifle.I immediately opened the bolt and dried it off and applied oil to the barrel and all metal parts.What firearm care do you guys take after hunting in a torrential rain?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:28 AM

Default RE: WATERLOGGED RIFLE

the rain is my favorite time to hunt. but as for my guns inthe rain. i have a synthetic stock 30-06 that i take in the rain so that my wood stocks don' t swell. i take either a towel or something to cover up the bolt and scope. i just bought me one of those umberellas but i don' t think i will ever use that thing. looks like too much work to set up.

i just cover up my impertant parts and when i get home i dry it all out and put it away for next time. some of that air in a can works real good for getting the moisture out of the chamber and bolt area.

works for my stuff but i sure others have better ways
Old 11-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its was just last week and I was sitting in the woods and it couldn' t make up its mind to snow or rain, but it would melt as soon as it landed and my rifle was soaked so when i got home. I wipe it down and ran a swab through the barrel and use Remington Rim Oil that has tephlon in it. I spray a swab with it and run down the barrel and then spray bolts mechanisms and wipe down. Since then I have hunted in the snow about a half a dozen times and haven' t sprayed it yet since the snow now is real dry. It depends on the conditions on how often I do this.
By the way welcome to the board, Bobby
Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 AM

its all about the stainless. I put the rifle my the wood stove and dry it out.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I' m an obsessive clean-freak. Any time I get more than a few drops of water on my rifle, I strip, clean, and lube everything. I usually do anyway after a range session. I have a 700 ADL synthetic, so I don' t need to worry about the stock.