Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 GOING OUT TOMORROW, NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT TO HUNT??????????????? >

GOING OUT TOMORROW, NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT TO HUNT???????????????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

GOING OUT TOMORROW, NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT TO HUNT???????????????

Old 11-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default GOING OUT TOMORROW, NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT TO HUNT???????????????

Alright, tomorrow is that second weekend of gun season. I didn' t go out last weekend because I went to state football instead (stupid). It was pretty warm out last weekend, about 45 degrees. Before that it was cold and the rut was just starting, there was some hunting pressure, but not a lot compared to other years. Well that warm temp. trend continued until today, it dropped down to about high of 25 and tomorrow it' s gonna be even colder. Tonight we got some snow, and it is supposed to snow all weekend. Nothing to much just light flurries. Heres my question, what should I hunt?

We have a lot of sloughs around here, many are dried up and full of cattails. There are a lot of treestrips but not many big " woods" as other people would hunt? I have a bunch of places to hunt I just don' t know if I should sit next to a picked corn field, or get in among some cattails? I know this once piece of ground were theres nothing but about 3 miles long, by 2 miles wide. Full of cattails. On one side of this slough theres the highway and then the slough continues on. On the other my grandpa has a picked cornfield. About 100 yards into these cattails theres a big stockdam I was thinking I should sit on if the wind is right? sound good? I got some doe in heat stuff I' m gonna drag in with me.

I was thinking I should sit in the morning, then maybe just go to all the places I can hunt and try rattling for a bit, but that' s another thing, we have a bad buck to doe ratio? it' s about mid rut I' m guessing, so do you think rattling will work?

So I' m thinking sit in the morning, rattle in the afternoon, then sit again at night? sound about right? the forecast for tomorrow is snow......
Old 11-21-2003, 11:25 PM

Default RE: GOING OUT TOMORROW, NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT TO HUNT???????????????

hey where are you hunting at in sd? i would say sit in the morning and night and then walk some of the small trees in the day, maybe get into the cattails alittle bit, or just sit at the stockdam all day and then sit by the cattails towards nite. when we went out to chamberlain/oacoma, we saw quite a few deer movin for water in the middle of the day and also saw quite a bit in the cattails.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Talk about a fast hunt. I returned to North of Wall Friday morning I got there about one hour before daylight so I stretched out in the jeep for a while. I had an any deer tag but we wanted another big doe. When it got light enough to see well I drove up this gravel road along a winter wheat field on the draws I was going to hunt. There was about thirty mule deer on the field and I know which draw they go into from there. As I drove by they got a little nervous so I drove arond to the end of that draw. By the time I got there about ten of them were standing on the top of the draw. I got out of the jeep and laid on the ground for a good rest and scoped them out. There were four very large does so I picked the one that looked the biggest. One shot from the NEF 280 and my day was done. By 10 oclock my wife and I had it skinned deboned and put in a tote in the jeep for the trip home. We drove 10 hours through near blizzard conditions and got home about two hours ago. Our place is out by Wall but we are working in North Dakota. Its about 2 below zero now with 30 MPH wind. Glad to be home. Got to grind meat and make sausage tomorrow. YUM YUM
Old 11-23-2003, 04:52 PM

hey congrats on the nice doe, yah the weather here in sd was kinda rotten today, made it miserable to hunt in.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:19 PM

Hi,

If the snow will be heavy and it' s a big storm, deer will bed down and you should stalk the beds from upwind. Deer activity will be highest before and immediately after the storm. Also, the cold snap this week should make it better hunting then your first week where you are. It may have sent the rut into high gear, and that may get a buck out of his bed during the storm if he smells your doe in heat, but your best bet is to concentrate on heavy cover, they won' t be out in the cornfields.

Good Luck!
Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com