Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Can you help us save the trees/gardens?

You want an honest answer, the solution is to harvest the deer and try to get the herd to the population level that will not be a problem.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:50 PM

harvesting the deer is probably the only way, a fence wont do much unless its like a 10 ft fence.try calling your game fish and parks departmen,natural resources department and have them come out and take a look at the damage and give them a report of everything. They might send someone out to take care of your problem by harvesting them, or by letting you harvest them.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Since your property is essentially a deer magnet you' ll either have to learn to live with them or allow hunting to reduce the damage . There are no proven methods of non-lethal control for whitetails .

If the property will be used for commercial purposes your state may allow you to use depredation permits to control their numbers . You should also consider leasing the land to carefully screened hunters and/or hunting clubs , maybe start out with bow hunting only until you' re comfortable with the idea , then gradually introduce some gun hunting . Hunting clubs would be my choice since they usually have a written code for their members regarding behavior and ethics . Be sure to clearly state in writing what is allowed , and what isn' t . Get letters from each hunter absolving you of responsibility for accidents , your state laws may already cover this for owners who allow hunting on their land .
Old 11-19-2003, 08:24 AM

killem them, if it is a populated area get someone bith a bow, they will not leave
Old 11-19-2003, 08:44 AM

If it would be practical to you,you might try getting a dog to keep them run off. If you didn' t want to fence your yard in to contain a dog you might could buy an electric dog containment system. Better yet, come get the dogs that live around our lease, they seem to keep our deer run off......LOL. Good Luck with what ever you decide!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:54 AM

LIVE that is a good idea, just put the dog somewhere near the trees you don' t want bambi going into. I' ve also heard of going to the barber and getting hair cuttings then drop them in the area. You also could go to a local farm store and ask what they have as far as deer repellent, there are a few different types out there. I' m sure there are some more ideas out there that will get rid of them without killing them(if that' s what you want). Just ask around
Old 11-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

For years I' ve kept deer from my garden area which is 160' x160' by purchasing a roll of 4' high black plastic and enclose the area. Keep it about 1' off the ground and use metal/wood posts to tie/staple to. In 7 years using this, have NEVER had a deer go over the fence. they can' t see what' s on the other side, so they WILL NOT go over. It' s an inexpensive way to keep deer out. Steve
Old 11-19-2003, 10:47 AM

Like Live said, a good dog will keep them out.

If not, call me and I' ll come down and take care of the problem for ya! [:-]
Old 11-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best way is to shoot them. You seem to live in a populated area and the deer are only going to cause problems if left unchecked. Thier numbers need reduced. A dog may be a good idea, but do you want it chasing after the deer and getting lost or run over by a car? Or if you tie it up do you want it barking all night and disturbing your peace as well as the nieghbors? Other than a very high fence around your property, you won' t keep the deer out for any length of time. Shooting them and reducing thier numbers will allow you to still see them sometimes, but they shouldn' t wreak as much havoc on your yard.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.