Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Help does and bucks up and disappeared >

Help does and bucks up and disappeared

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help does and bucks up and disappeared

Old 11-14-2023, 05:54 AM
Spike

Default Help does and bucks up and disappeared

I live in the southern maryland area. It's like right after youth day (this past sat) there has been absolutely 0 deer movement for 3 days now I've seen 0 and cam hasn't seen anything in 3 days. Isn't it prime rut? What could ve the cause of this. Usually I have between 3 bucks and 3-8 doe come in like almost clockwork. So where I hunt I have to hunt basically there feeding area. That's the only spot where I could squeeze my stand up in. Not ideal but I've killed deer here before

Last edited by Rpcross45; 11-14-2023 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Deer movement ultimately follows the food source. Interruptions can change their pattern up, but if you find what they're currently eating you'll find deer. And those patterns can change quickly sometimes
Old 11-14-2023, 09:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Deer movement ultimately follows the food source. Interruptions can change their pattern up, but if you find what they're currently eating you'll find deer. And those patterns can change quickly sometimes
Theyve been coming to my corn for months now and now poof during the rut absolutly 0 feeding deer
Old 11-15-2023, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rpcross45
Theyve been coming to my corn for months now and now poof during the rut absolutly 0 feeding deer
Something else in the area available to them?

Ripe apples dropping, acorns, lots of things depending on where you are ...

Can change a feeding pattern.

Pressure from the neighbors interrupting a travel route?
-Jake
Old 11-15-2023, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Got oak trees close by? Most everywhere this year in the east had a pretty spectacular acorn mass crop and whitetail prefer those to pretty much anything. High fat and protein. Especially white oak acorns. About the only thing I've seen deer pass over acorns for was a good soy bean field or turnip greens.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Something else in the area available to them?

Ripe apples dropping, acorns, lots of things depending on where you are ...

Can change a feeding pattern.

Pressure from the neighbors interrupting a travel route?
-Jake
if it's pressure from neighbors I wouldn't know but it just happened out of nowhere big ol corn pile and no deer wre touching it.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

calm before the storm, hang tight look what will happen in 4 days
Old 11-18-2023, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

another thing could be is if there is a lot of hunting pressure in that area. that will move deer out of an area in a hurry. especially bucks. they may have gone nocturnal too.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I started hunting deer in the late 80's and in fairly populated areas with a decent amount of hunting pressure I notice the deer get more and more scarce as more and more people go into the woods. Year after year I notice that the longer you go after opening day the more and more they go nocturnal. Doesn't take them long to realize people are tamping through the woods.