Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your 2023 deer season

Old 10-03-2023, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yesterday, other than being a beautiful morning to spend in the woods it wasn't productive. all I saw was Nuthatches and wrens. It was too warm , I suspect the deer fed in the dark and were laid up when daylight came. Oh well, that is hunting. Looks like the rest of the week will be as bad, 84 degrees today and more of the same through thursday and rain Friday and Saturday. I will probably be back out on Thursday morning.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Cooler weather coming this weekend.

Hunt that weather shift
Old 10-03-2023, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can't wait.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ButchA
I know... Tell me about it. You can't mention ANYTHING about hunting or firearms or... within today's public school system!
Even middle school kids today, have no idea what it's like going out with their dad, to an outdoor range and shoot an old Ruger 10/22.
They don't understand. To them it's viewed as wrong.
What happened?!?
Replying back to my own thread on this topic.... We school bus drivers were "hanging out" at the local elementary school bus ramp, biding our time, until the bell rang. We were off our buses, gathered around, chit chatting about this and that, etc.. Female, Male, late 60's, 50's, white, hispanic, and even from Dubai (100% legally immigrated, and learned English).

Anyway, we were talking about fall, trees changing colors, cold weather setting in, etc... and I made the comment, "It's the perfect weather to go out and chase after Bambi with a deer hunting rifle!". Well, as you can guess, that went over like a turd in a punch bowl. The ladies all looked at me like, "What? You'd kill a harmless animal in the woods?". The guys were all like, (secretly giving me a "thumbs up", but very cautiously), and only one or two said, "I did that sh** decades ago. Had a great time. Today? No way, man. No way, Jose... I don't want to get shot! Too many idiots in the woods. I hung it up years ago..."

Wow.... Is this what has happened to the aspect of deer hunting over these past decades?!?

Last edited by ButchA; 10-05-2023 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 10-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ButchA
I know... Tell me about it. You can't mention ANYTHING about hunting or firearms or... within today's public school system!
Even middle school kids today, have no idea what it's like going out with their dad, to an outdoor range and shoot an old Ruger 10/22.
They don't understand. To them it's viewed as wrong.
What happened?!?
I think some of it falls back on their parents for not taking their children out teaching them about it. Also sitting around playing games on their phones and the like. Most of us never even laid eyes on a computer at their age. Then politics taking over because of the school shootings and ect. There’s just no discipline anymore so the children couldn’t possibly understand..
I am blessed to live up here with our laid back lifestyle..
Old 10-06-2023, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I finally got in a hunt this week tonight. Set up on the ground 35 yards from a lone apple tree close to the border.
​​​​​ 10 minutes before sunset was drawn back on a big doe at 9 yards, but I didn't shoot , grass in the way . Probably should have shot
Old 10-07-2023, 03:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I think some of it falls back on their parents for not taking their children out teaching them about it. Also sitting around playing games on their phones and the like. Most of us never even laid eyes on a computer at their age. Then politics taking over because of the school shootings and ect. There’s just no discipline anymore so the children couldn’t possibly understand..
I am blessed to live up here with our laid back lifestyle..
When parents allow their kids to sit around all day shooring and killing people on video games that their parents bought for them, they get desensitized to deth and destruction in the real world!!
Old 10-07-2023, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
When parents allow their kids to sit around all day shooring and killing people on video games that their parents bought for them, they get desensitized to deth and destruction in the real world!!
Exactly Oldtimr
Old 10-07-2023, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by john1984
I finally got in a hunt this week tonight. Set up on the ground 35 yards from a lone apple tree close to the border.
​​​​​ 10 minutes before sunset was drawn back on a big doe at 9 yards, but I didn't shoot , grass in the way . Probably should have shot
NEVER regret choosing to not take a risky shot

Think of how you'd feel had you taken it and wounded/lost her? No fun. I've been there.

Enjoy watching them. A better shot will present itself.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree whole heartedly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.