Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How fast can a deer run?

Old 08-17-2022, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default How fast can a deer run?

My daughter and I were out scouting this afternoon and ran up on two groups of deer. The first group we sat in my work car and watched for about 5 minutes @ about 50 yards away, they were pretty calm and let us watch them. We drove on down the road a little further and saw another group. As soon as we stopped they took off running. We were on the base of the dam for our local lake and that is where we saw the deer. They ran down the dam praralleling the road we were on so I followed them. They were running about as fast as they could go for about 200 to 300 yards. I drove at just a little over 20 mph and kept up with them. I was kind of surprised that there speed was only a little over 20 MPH. I thought they could run faster than that.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

About 35 mph but not for long.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

When a deer is really running fast it's down kinda low to the ground really digging in pushing hard.

If they're jumping and bouncing still they're not going very fast.

Also keep in mind, they could have been traveling a further distance than you were at even just a slight angle. Which would mean they were going faster than your speedo indicated.

-Jake
Old 08-18-2022, 06:01 AM
Spike

There are a lot of articles you'll get on Google about how fast can a deer run. Large healthy deer can reach speeds of 35MPH for short distances and 25MPH for long distances.
I once read that a buck was clocked at 40 miles per hour.
It looks like their belly is only an inch or two above the ground when they stretch it out.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:54 PM
Spike

Fast enough for you to miss your shot.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:32 PM
Spike

30-ish mph I'd say when really running fast.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:16 AM
Spike

Deer are surprisingly speedy creatures, typically reaching 35-40 miles per hour (56-64 km/h) when they really get going.